Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've caught a few whitefish out of it. I've never tasted whitefish bit I've heard they're pretty good smoked!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't sure they were the same as the great Lake whitefish but years ago, around places like Duluth there were a lot of roadside vendors selling smoked whitefish. reason I asked.
Not that I WANT to catch any but just in case I do by accident.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I wasn't sure they were the same as the great Lake whitefish but years ago, around places like Duluth there were a lot of roadside vendors selling smoked whitefish. reason I asked.
Not that I WANT to catch any but just in case I do by accident.
why would you not want to catch any? Fun as hell. They can turn a tough day into a great day. Just my thought though!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Go to the White above Meeker. If you look hard enough, you will find some public water and I would keep it from Buford downstream. The river is loaded with them and it is possible to get bored catching them. Flashback PT and the like will catch em. Mid summer and through the fall seems the best time to be there. I do not catch quite as many pre run off for whatever reason (that also seems to be the case on the Fork, why?). Never ate them but might try them smoked!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go to the White above Meeker. If you look hard enough, you will find some public water and I would keep it from Buford downstream. The river is loaded with them and it is possible to get bored catching them. Flashback PT and the like will catch em. Mid summer and through the fall seems the best time to be there. I do not catch quite as many pre run off for whatever reason (that also seems to be the case on the Fork, why?). Never ate them but might try them smoked!
There is definitely a population in the Roring fork. But you'll probably catch more trout. They are also found in the Colorado I've caught them as far upstream as gore canyon. The Eagle, but not as much, all the way up to the town of Minturn. The Yampa up to cataract. But YAH! The White. :D Some killer days up there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
they really are not all that greasy, but the other posters are right. they are the bomb smoked. I grew up fishing in the winter for whitefish on the White River, and really miss them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts