Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Stuccoman01-You are right about Navajo-just a great lake for almost everything that swims in CO. My last trip down there, I camped out with the pooch for 3 days and my girlfriend went to see her mon in Durango. Anyway, it rained all 3 days but the fishing was great and the thing I love is you can really get away from it all on that lake. Maybe the most fun of all are the channel cats-I've had them hit my crank so hard they almost pull the rod out of your hand.

I wish it were closer but then I realize if it were on the front range it would get enormous pressure and wouldn't be the same lake for long. Ed

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I thought so. I have a good number of baits on the bottom near the dam. I just started fishing chatfield last year and having some trouble locating bass anywhere but the dam. Any hints what to look for would be great. I do practice catch and release. If this was a largemouth lake I would not be begging for insight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also grew up in Texas but spent most of my time in the Bays and flats fishing for flounder, reds and specs. Didnt really start bass fishing until I moved out here, but its not only my preferred fish to hunt down, Its become somewhat of an obsession of mine. In a way fishing for them, flounder and reds are very much the same.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I luv hawgin' cuz they are a consistent predator. Not as fragile as trout and not as finicky as muskie. More interest in warm water fishing is growing in Colorado...

Here is my best hawg in 2005!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Correction to last post...that is my biggest bass from 2004, not 2005. Getting a bit ahead of myself there.

22.5 inches, 5 pounds and some change. Caught on a yellow/green spinnerbait.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
You know Mattsabasser, I'm sitting here bummed. The weather sucks, I just had my hockey game (outdoor roller) canceled, I was going to try (fishing) a place I heard about in Hygiene on the way down. Did you have to post that pic today!? Have a little sympathy. Save thoose photos for days when I can actually fish after seeing them.   :'(   Very nice fish!!! 

·
Registered
472 Posts
Luv those bucketmouth! I'm hoping to get into some really BIG fish in 2005! Been out a couple times for them but skunked out...still a bit cold.

I have caught a few that have measured 22.5 inches in length but can't seem to get anything near that 11.5 pound record caught at Navajoe Res.

James...those Hygiene ponds (@ P-Xing) have some big fish. A bit on the pressured side but big. Hope that is the spot you are talking about and best of luck in 2005!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
I luv hawgin' cuz they are a consistent predator. Not as fragile as trout and not as finicky as muskie. More interest in warm water fishing is growing in Colorado...

Here is my best hawg in 2005!

Beautiful... I would give a dorky jumping high five to a witness on that one!

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
I'm a Bass guy all the time...if any of you want to get out sometime...pm me

;D

·
Registered
664 Posts
largemouth and smallmouth are my main focus. I do like to go after trout in lakes and streams for a change of pace or when the bass aren't active.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bass fishing is awesome; theres nothin like it.
I love other fish too; but bass fishing is so active.
I just caught a 17 inch bucket mouth the other day, man those L mouths are hogs. within 5 minutes of arriving, how awesome is that.
just my opinion- but it seems like their is less luck involved with bass then some other fish.
take more skill too I would say; especially with the lure I was using, just started using it, took me a while at first to fish it well. but I love it now I'll never take it out of my box!
I love the challenge. I said to myself your gonna fish this lure till you figure out how to catch somthin. took my probably a half hour too, just to get a hit.
and I think you can use more lures to catch the same fish.

·
Registered
864 Posts
ive been getting more into bass fishing the last 2 yrs except the places I have been going are kinda......well lame not much for numbers or size Im still tryin to find a good lake

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Always looking for people to fish with. Have truck and bass tracker no driver licence. I also have a BP pond master. Patrick 303.898.8512. Just give me a call. I do not get on this site much anymore.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts