Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Z reminded me of one of my fav ways to fish. JUGS!

I have about 20 in the basement just waiting for fun and frolic.

We would drop them when heading out in morning then check them b4 lunch, then b4 evening.

Sucker meat on a size 2 baitholder caught some of the largest walleyes some trips. Always some nice catties and wipers also.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used to see "jug fishing" all the time at Miramonte here in Western Colorado and wondered what it was all about. Come to find out it was just marking crawdad traps out in the lake. Guess jug fishing means different things to different people. By the way, even with the poisoning of Miramonte to rid the lake of smallmouth bass, the crawdad population wasn't hurt and it's still a great place for trapping them if you are into that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah dont care to mess with them crawdads. Jugs we use are 1 gallon plastic bottles with 75 ft of 60lb braid and a 2lb weight . I hang a hook about 12" above the weight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Made a dozen out of large water bottles. Painted them cone orange,added a little sand to each, so they stand straight up when a fish is on. Put them out at John Martin. Had a blast chasing them around the lake, with the wind blowing. Wouldn't say it was relaxing in the wind though. Channels, blues, all smaller sized. Cut bait.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I thought it was going to be a joke about breasts or poaching but it looks like a legit fishing topic...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Did lots of it growing up back east. Not sure why Colorado doesn't allow it on only a handful of places. But they do allow spearfishing??????

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Before someone chimes in on the jug fishing not being much sport; I will add that it is not either, but at least the fish has a choice and a chance of getting away.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I remember an episode of Swamp People where they were jug fishing for alligator gar. Every time they got close it would TAKE OFF with the jug like a bat outta hell!

It was pretty comical seeing them chase down the jug.

Then they had to shoot the thing in the head before getting it in the boat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts