Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And don't just say KVD. Put some thought into it. My guess is Hackney. Home town boy knows the water and that may be the key with the weather they have been having down there lately. He's also a hullava flipper. It will be a pitchin and flippin bite that wins it. Hackney wins, Biffle second, KVD, Klein and Skeet round out top 5.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Where is it this year?

Are they hitting Smith Mountain again this year? I think they call it the Blue Ridge Brawl. I would like to be there at the lake house while the tournament is going on. It would be interesting! And I could really use a vacation!!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would say Iaconelli, he won the classic on the Delta in 03. He's a great finesse fisherman, which with all this cold weather it might take some finesse.

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
Well we know it won't be Byron Velvick :-\... I'm thinking Skeet for the win, Ike second and KVD 3rd. I also think Russ Lane will be up there pretty close, came on strong last year!!!

W

·
0 Posts
Gerald Swindle of Alabama. Why? Because there's a Decepticon named after him.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
longdraw said:
Dude. Its like asking who's gon win the world series in july. Way too much weather betwEen now n the 18th to speculate.
Lots of guys speculate on the WS in April. Who wins if weather is good, who wins if weather is bad?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I would look for one of the unknowns to be in contention, been doing a bit of reading on a couple of guys and they have some good game plans. KVD will always be in the running, he has some ways of always finding fish. MI is an all or nothing type of guy. Aaron Martens might make a good show of things. Under tough conditions I think a lot of the guys are not able to change up from their go to styles and get creative.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
TC said:
longdraw said:
Dude. Its like asking who's gon win the world series in july. Way too much weather betwEen now n the 18th to speculate.
Lots of guys speculate on the WS in April. Who wins if weather is good, who wins if weather is bad?
To be honest, I have no clue. Hackney is a popular pick, and rightfully so as well as Cliff Pace. Knowing the area could be crucial, but depending on weather it may not. When I say weather, I'm mostly referring to wind and fog. A certain wind trajectory can blow a place dry, and possibly leave a guy stuck with no way out if he is fishing a backwater area with very shallow access. Wind can also move debris and end the tournament for a competitor that is running. A guy may have a solid lead only to get a DQ the next day. Fog can keep any of the competitors from making runs south. This thing is all about luck in my opinion. Yeah, you still gotta catch 'em and get them to the scales, but a guy is gonna need to find gold because everybody will be catching fish.

I will be frank and say that there are 30 guys in the field that all have an equal shot at this thing. I can't wait to watch it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mike Mcclelland is my guess. Ike is another good contender. The western boys will all be perplexed with water clarity! Lol. Almost forgot, Davy Hite could also bring a sack to the stage. Btw, local anglers seem to sometimes struggle with home field advantage in the classic. The cool thing will be that there could already be some big piggies making their way to congregate on the deeper flats making for a potentially huge prespawn bite. Understand some of these flats are only about an acre big caused by the river beds being pushed around the backwater areas. Only one problem, the moon . ::) Its a dangerous water system. Hope the outboard companies bring extra lower units ;).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts