Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, why not? Because its Gold Medal water? So are North Delenay and Steamboat Res. You can even use bait at Steamboat. Because the water level drops in the winter? They take water out of Blue Mesa, Turquiose, Twin Lakes, Rudei, and Williams fork in the winter. Slot limits for the fish? Got those at Twin Lakes,Crawford, and the Delenays. Does anyone really have a good reason or is it because Aurora Water says so??? ???

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
EDB...It is because of the drastic water fluctuation at that reservoir. When they call(Aurora) for water it is a lot of times more than what is going in so the water level drops a bunch real fast leaving air between water and ice lid!!!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
TthePikester said:
EDB...It is because of the drastic water fluctuation at that reservoir. When they call(Aurora) for water it is a lot of times more than what is going in so the water level drops a bunch real fast leaving air between water and ice lid!!!
That may be what they say, but I'm not buying it. I have never, ever, seen that anywhere, and I've never heard a first hand report of it either.

I know it's used as an excuse a lot, but who has ever actually seen it happen? Anyone? I bet not.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry TthePikester, I don't buy that one. Wouldn't Elevenmile Res. have water on top of the ice then? They usually send the water down to Quincy and Aurora in March and April. 3 years ago they dropped Blue Mesa 30 feet in Feb. and March because of the huge snowpack and the ice settled down on the water as it was being lowered.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sorry Pikester, I don't agree with you at all. That would also strain 11 Mile the same way and it doesn't. There are other reasons that I have no clue about.

Personally I would like to see it open on weekends and holidays and charge a $10 fee per person (pay for the attendant and the heat in the booth). I'd also only allow pike to be harvested with all trout completely C&R.

Then I'd shut it down a month before ice out, say March 1st, so the fish get good and anxious for open water.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
TthePikester said:
That may be what they say, but I'm not buying it. I have never, ever, seen that anywhere, and I've never heard a first hand report of it either.

I know it's used as an excuse a lot, but who has ever actually seen it happen? Anyone? I bet not.
bet..... ask 73fisherman

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
Well guys I can only report what I have read and been told by the state parks upon asking myself. Go to this link and scroll half way down the page to the answer to your question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/Management/ManagementFAQ.htm

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Does anyone actually have proof of the ice "floating" above the water with air in between? I know everyone knows some who was out one day and drilled a whole to find a couple of feet of air in between the ice and water, but why isn't there any pics or real proof? From what I have read on ice, it floats on the water and doesn't have the proper structure to stay together unless it is floating on the water. Spme one need to call myth busters,lol.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
TthePikester said:

The gap between the ice and water happened a few years ago at Skagway. Okay I did not witness it but they closed the lake. The mystery continues...I agree...Mythbusters!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
BS excuse, many reservoirs fluctuate greatly the only reason is Aurora owns it, why does Quincy close? they belong to Aurora not us. Haven't heard of too many dead ice fishermen from fishing fluctuating reservoirs. ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have seen this happen at Gross Reservoir a few times. You drill through the ice and you hit a pocket of air and cannot reach the new ice below. This is really freaky. I have also seen this on rivers back in Wisconsin.

Randy

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
da_yooper said:
I have seen this happen at Gross Reservoir a few times. You drill through the ice and you hit a pocket of air and cannot reach the new ice below. This is really freaky. I have also seen this on rivers back in Wisconsin.

Randy
Calling BS, need some pictures for proof

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
That's it bud!!! I've been out on the Mile ice'n and have a pressure ridge sing, explode and the ice below us dropped about a foot... :-\...someone tells me not to go somewhere because of dead air under the ice I'm staying away no matter what...not worth the chance!!!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
years ago we would hike way back into strontia springs reservoir! I remember a few times drilling, finding h2o, only to have another layer below! We even saw sections collapse right along the edges! Freaky stuff! the fishing was awesome though! ;D

Jim

W

·
0 Posts
TthePikester said:

I totally agree. I don't see how it's physically possible to have a 2500 acre sheet of ice suspended above the water.

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
Captain America said:
TthePikester said:

I totally agree. I don't see how it's physically possible to have a 2500 acre sheet of ice suspended above the water.
Here is one pic of this happening, right here in Denver on the Platte!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dpdphoto/84522803/

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
"Question: THE CDOW SHOULD ALLOW ICE FISHING AT SPINNEY

We met with Aurora in 2000 to discuss this option. Aurora's main concern about ice fishing is that it is inherently less safe than at other reservoirs. The water level under the ice at Spinney is frequently lowered to meet downstream water rights/storage requirements. The water level fluctuations from 1990 through 1999 ranged from 0.3 feet to 9 feet. These type of water level changes make ice conditions much more dangerous and do not routinely occur at Eleven-Mile and Antero Reservoirs. If an ice angler fell through the ice at Spinney, they could drop several feet before hitting the water surface depending on the time of year and seasonal water inflow/outflow conditions. Aurora does not want to put anglers at risk by allowing ice fishing at Spinney reservoir. The CDOW and State Parks personnel agree with this assessment."

Don, I've ran into suspended ice before one time in my life...up above Palmer Lake at the 2nd reservoir..

We used to drive up with our 4x4's and race around on the lake...Went up there one day with my buddy. I was driving my 58 Willy's Wagon...Heavy sucker with a power takeoff winch... He was driving his old Toyota FJ...We messed around all over the reservoir, and then I came off. He was following behind me and 15 feet from shore he broke through the ice and dropped five feet down into the mud...Had to winch him out. Standing there, you could see a five foot air pocket under the ice lid...all the way out into the reservoir., Scared the crap out of us..

The next day, we went back up and the ice had broke all along the shoreline and settled back down onto the lake.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts