Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have this boat that my neighbor gave me last year. it came with a live well that operates by a switch in the back of the boat. the switch basically just fills the compartment with lake water. my question is am I doing something wrong because by the end of the day all the fish are just floating belly up. shoot in my other boat id just put them on a stringer and most of them stayed swimming all day.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
that type of live well needs to have a tube to plug the drain that is shorter than the top of the well so you can run the pump more and the water will drain out to keep the water fresh. another thing you can do is use some rejuvinate in your water also oxy. tabs will keep the fish alive. this time of year with the warm water it helps to put some jugs of ice in your water

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,i was wondering about ice. so if I shorten the tube the water will circulate more? couldn't I just leave the tube out?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
the tube determinates the water level, if you leave it out the water will run out to fast. measure the depth of the well and the top of the tube needs to be about an inch lower then if your fill pump is correct you can leave the pump running to circulate the water. my boat has a 3 way switch off, fill , and timer that runs every 3 minutes if you need to change your switch, BPS and Cabela's sell them

·
Registered
91 Posts
That begs the question, why after all day long do you want to keep them alive? If culling your catch, do it way sooner than later! If you are harvesting them, it is a fact to kill and ice them asap, harvesting, slit their throats, bleed em out and ice em. Way better end product. Just asking, why are you keeping them alive?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
because like Sunday I was able to release the one walleye of keeper size. I won't take home just one fish its not enough for a meal for my wife and i. and I don't freeze fish

·
Registered
936 Posts
It's also much harder to keep fish in a live well with water termperatures this hot. When you catch a fish from 20 fow, where the water is must cooler, and put it in a livewell circulating water at temperatures 10-15 degrees warmer, the fish can die from the temperature change alone.

Not to mention the heat from the sun beating on the little metal box all day.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats the nice thing about the internet it makes people like you brave aint that right casper.and yes mike I'm getting a little better with the blades thanks to you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts