Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a follow up to my earlier post "Who is the most hardcore fisherman"  http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0

Everyone has their own reason to fish,  what is yours?

I find there are several reasons that I fish.  Some of them are:

1. Therapy.  I go out on the lake whether its on the boat or shore and I get away from things.  I get peace and quiet.  I get a break from reality.

2. Quality time with my kids.  No distractions just me and them,  its amazing how much they will talk when we are fishing.

3. I get away from other distractions, the TV, computer everything electronic except my fishfinder.

4. I enjoy fishing,  my kids and I have a saying, "any day fishing is a good day, any day catching fish is a great day".

It is such a great fun feeling to catch that first fish of the day,  reeling it in and seeing how big it is.  Friendly competition between my kids and me who catches the biggest or most.  And of course the kids love it when they win.

My family notices a difference in my mood and attitude after I have been fishing.  Sometimes my wife actually tells me I need to go fishing........Hmmmmm wonder what that means?

So why do you fish?

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mostly tradition I think, I grew up fishing alot with my parents and camping which has given me great memories. I take my girl and the micro dude every chance I get, I hope for him to do the same when he grows up.
I enjoy fishing, I love taking kids and adults who have never been fishing the excitement they get when they catch their first fish is the best. I'm a mean fisherman thou, I make them bait their own hooks and release their own fish. Which makes for a couple more enjoyable moments.
I love the scenery, when at back country lakes or canoing a river or big lake, the animals you see moments that you have and no one else unless they are there with you have.
Just to get outside, I work using computers and I am a very hard core computer gamer so I need a break alot and have to remember to go outside and fishing is a great something to do outside, thats why I dont mind fishing these little intown lakes. (my girlfriend hates it if it isnt out in the sticks she doesnt want to fish it)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I agree with therapy  :D

Because it's my hobby that I've been most consistant at when it comes to practice and repitition. Hmmmm..... I could pretty much say fishing contributed a big hand in pulling me away from the extremes of juvenile delinquency. Fishing sometimes was the reason I skipped school, but truthfully, I wouldn't have graduated without the outdoors to steer me away from the "bad crowd".

Much thanks to hooks, lines and rods

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My reasons are much the same as everyone else's.

I work in a high tech field and this can get pretty intense. I want to be as far away as I can from this when I am taking a vacation or break (but I have to admit that I am a sucker for electronic gadgets associated with fishing). Fishing does not always follow hard and fast rules and I like the randomness. I also have a lot to learn about fish and fishing.

I also agree that it is great to take my kids with me (though my daughter has decided that fishing is "cruel" and so doesn't go with me as much)... My boy and I have a great time, though, and it's always a kick to see him get so excited about it.

Last, I grew up fishing with my grandparents and have loved boats and water ever since I was a toddler.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Why I Fish.

1. Because I learned it as a kid and just never stopped. I was raised on the banks of the Missouri River, and my Dad always had trotlines out to help feed seven kids. Believe me I have eaten carp, drum, gar and sturgeon as well as the usual catfish, crappies, bass and pike. Nothing got rejected in our family. We also fished the oxbow lakes in the area for bluegills, bass and catfish. Out of the seven kids, five stayed hooked on fishing to this day.

2. Because I like to eat fish. I am a little more selective these days - been a long time since I ate a gar!!! - but I always try to take home just one or two fish for the table.

3. I enjoy the quiet and solitude of the outdoors, especially when no one else is out there, and especially early in the morning. Somehow, you just sense the presence of God better when you are away from your everyday surroundings.

I probably shouldn't confess this, but I have been known now and then to put on clean neat clothes and a necktie to go fishing. Not because of vanity - but because it's like I am in church, and I want to show respect.

I don't think it gets me any more strikes, though...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I fish because I love to hear the drag zing.
I fish because I love to eat tasty walleye and the occasional trout.
I fish because I love to!

·
Registered
173 Posts
;D Why do I fish?

Because I am driven to fish! Ha! At least last year I was.

And also because i heard about this guy who fishes in a suite and tie and was hoping to see this strange sight! ;D Just kidding.

I love fishing for a lot of the reasons everyone else here does, the quiet, the peacefulness, to relax and be able to forget about things for a while. To get away from the TV blasting and the computer. I love being outdoors in the sunshine. And i love it when i get a fish on my line. The adrenaline when you feel your pole jerk and the tip go down, then reeling in a fish. I enjoy watching the other critters you see around the water too, ducks, pelicans, beavers, RATS...;D

·
Registered
281 Posts
When i was a kid we grew ip in california and wahington state. from the time i was born til i was 16 we moved 14 times. I wintered with my parents and summered with my grandparents. My grandpa was a avid fisherman he lived on the sacromento river til i was 12 that is where i learned to love fishing, trout, salmon runs, steelhead runs, stripers, catfish, bluegil, bass, carp and sturgen although i never caught a sturgen, it was a fishermans paridise. Then we moved to Washington state there was water everywhere, that was it i am hooked for life.

T

·
0 Posts
Mainly just to get away from the everyday grind. Also I hate store bought fish. you can't beat FRESH FISH for dinner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Because life for my grampa was so tough the only times he ever smiled was when he had sake in his brain and when he survived the 100+ ft. cliffs to bring fish home for dinner.

Because my Dad & Uncles were my Gods, and my fishing exploits would make them smile(or laugh).

Because the opportunity to improve doesn't require physical or mental abilities beyond what I possess.

Because the skills I have earned makes me not have to envy the guy who's got a Stella on a St. Croix.

Because of the...feeling we experience on the water that binds us all.

Hey, didn't mean to sound pompous, just trolling deeper.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Obsession
Challenge
Commradarie
Outdoor Experience
The bite & fight
Fish Fries
and... I just love it!!!!

Pete

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Why Do You Fish?

1. because it has been something i have done and have loved to do since i was a very young kid when my grandpa and dad and their fisning buddies always took me along.

2. because sometimes its not the fishing at all, rather the planning, investigation, the hopeful drama and promise, the trip prep, the tackle buying, rigging and organizing, the challenge, the learning, the memories and the friends that go along with it all.

3. every day fishing doesn't count against your life - or so i have heard that.

4. because every year presents a different twist with conditions, weather, species interest etc.

5. because the very best way for me to re-charge for work is to get out and fish.

6. to get others involved, teach them and show them the sport - ethically, sprotmenship, conservation and the fundamental beauty of the sport.

7. greens fees got too high!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Fishing....its my religion. I can't walk by a glass of water without summing up water clarity and what presentation would work best.

"Vertical jig on 4lb line...work the bottom for the best action."

But to answer the question...I don't really know. More than a passion, fishing is an obsession with me. My girlfriend says I need a 12-step program.

"Twelve steps? I'll need a lot more than that to reach the good water!"

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
There are a million reasons.  :)  I love being outdoors, I love seeing new places in Colorado, Like Walking Eagle said - presence of God.  I think I really like the challenge, and the fact that I learn something new all the time. I wouldn't say that I'm good at fishing yet, but I constantly get better. When I started, I was lucky to catch at my local lake, and I only used power-bait. Now I could probably get a trout or two out of it any day of the year, and I have a few different techniques. So I guess sence of accomplishment too. The same place can look differant in each season. I never got into fishing much in MI (kind of funny), I guess it's the Colorado outdoors.  8)   

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Duh! To catch fish! Seriously,I like the outdoors,the high of catching the big one,I like nothing better than fishing a new lake for the first time-or the times when you pick it just right.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Exactly, all of the above.

I grew up fishing with my grandparents and my dad. I love the outdoors, I'm an Aquarin obsessed with water. Knowing how to catch fish is almost second nature. I love catching and eating fish.... I'm sure there are lots of other women out there who own a 21 ft walk around, just maybe not to many here in Colorado.

Terre

1 - 19 of 19 Posts