Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Why does it cost a million dollars to camp at horsetooth Reservoir???
Weekend entry fee $7/day
With boat $7/day
Tent camping $12day/ minimum is 2 days $24
Add it all up and you are still in Ft Collins???? I quess I was misinformed that this was a public state funded lake. Can anybody explain where you sign up for this country club.. . . . . . .

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Horsetooth is managed by Larimer County, and they set the fees according to calculations that nobody else has yet been able to figure out. Maybe that actually represents their costs, but I can't verify that's true.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian, hate to say it but by today's standards, that's not bad.

Grand Lake area over Memorial Day - annual recreation fee $35. Stillwater campground - basic site $17/night with $22/night for utilities. We also ran across a campground by the golf course road that wanted $30/night for basic spots.

It's unfortunate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know the answer...!
They charge those prices becuz they know they can get it. It's popular and they know people will pay. Not to mention there are LOTS of people around the area that have some serious cash and the price doesn't effect them. Just the common folks.Anymore camping is jsut flat out expensive. You're gonna drop at least $100.00 bucks for a weekend.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Brian,
I'm sorry that your so upset about this but lets put it in perspective. Going to the movies for 2 hours costs $9.50 per person not car load, a pitcher of beer in the bars I frequent costs $9.00 plus tip, and one trip to Bass Pro Shops cost me anywhere from $50 to $500. ;D :D I don't think that $12 to camp for 24 hours is really all that bad. I mean thats $.50 an hour. Entrance fees, well it does cost money for maintance and I would imagine its the insurance industry that runs that price up. Boaters, well as a part time boater, again I will point to insurance and law suites, (Every year someone drowns from a boat or clolides & even though they lose, people still try to sue the parks for wrong doing), also its not cheap to maintain the parking lots, ramps, and loading docks we use with our boats. Anyway I am a normal guy and have no problem giving money to keep things nice. Where I come from nothing is maintained. Peace and fish on.

:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah, It's out of hand. For starters, I wouldn't pay any money to go 'camp' next to a bunch of other people in a parking lot...it's just like being at home and listening to my neighbors stereo's and the like. The boat traffic is just like driving down I-25 during rush hour. The whole reservior culture in Colorado is a mystery to me.

Part of the reason I go fishing is to get away from people so you can be sure I won't pay a bunch of money to be surrounded by them. As a FTC resident, It sucks to have a place like Horsetooth literally 5 minutes from my house and not really be able to enjoy it 50% of the year and have to pay for it the rest of the time. It's too bad because it's a great place to fish.

I think that Larimer county should make places like Horsetooth free to it's residents and charge for people who aren't residents. I'm sure that would increase the yahoo percentage but since we already pay taxes here, I would guess we're already paying for it to some degree.

In the meantime I will be fishing somewhere else or camping in the backcountry where it's just me and the bears.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I'm with Ted-larimer bites. They can keep thier stinkin' lakes. What sucks is that the DOW stocks 'em with MY fish!

·
Registered
514 Posts
really if you go there and fish in the evenings or on weekdays its not bad at all. i am not much one to pay for camping. i would just sleep on my boat that way i dont have to stop fishing :) i rarely fish horsethooth anymore. its closer but i never have to wait in line to put my boat in the water at carter. i do fish horsetooth on windy days though cause carter gets pretty bad and horsetooth is more sheltered. ya, it all sucks but thats what we get for choosing to live in a desert. now northern michigan on the other hand has gobs of water, few people, great fishing, no jobs, and one of the highest suicide rates in the country. actually i think lower michigan counts for most the suicide rate. we fishermen complain like a bunch of old farmers. if we united then we could set up a non-profit fishing club and buy our own lake, stock the heck out of it and have it our way. think about how much money you spend on tackle every year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts