Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this:
• Green Mountain Reservoir: the bag and possession limit for lake trout is eight fish. This will encourage the harvest of an expanding lake trout population and help conserve the kokanee population.
Why does it always come down to Kokanee? I know that is the DOW's bread and butter but come on. Its really getting old. How about;

• Green Mountain Reservoir: the bag and possession limit for lake trout is eight fish. This will encourage the harvest of an expanding lake trout population and help to keep the lake in balance for all anglers
It made me think why don't we have slots in Colorado? If this state is so concerned about Kokes maybe a better way to manage it would be through slot limits and not 'encouraging' people to kill everything they catch. Will this help to protect kokes? depending on how its managed it could.

Not really sure where im going with this. Would just like to see more thought behind balancing a lake aside from kill all you can to save the kokes.
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also;

an expanding lake trout population

With that said are Lakers successfully spawning in GM?
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It is the same with pike, although before this year there were a number of lakes with a trophy slot, now the DOW wants mass destruction of all pike.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just so I understand your definition of "slot fish" do you mean making a regulation with a minimum and maximum? IE: 4 fish within 16-20inches?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Think they should lower the limit on kokanee to match trout and add a slot limit for lakers 18-25" one fish over 25", JMO.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Green mtn has a very small population of large lake trout and should have had some sort of protection limit on them. I doubt we will see slot limits on lake trout again, but we may see the limits raised on smaller fish and a one fish limit on the larger ones.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Slot limits would be great but I doubt it'll ever happen again. I actually feel lucky as a warm water guy that most places have min size limits on bass. Which again would probably be better suited having a slot for some of the smaller more abundant fish to be culled.....

Good idea but until we get someone working at the DOW that isn't afraid to step on some toes and shake things up I don't see anything happening...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Its this way in both Colorado and Utah. Most so-called fish "managers" HATE predatory fish of any kind. Hell, they have to be managed! We can't have those! Put and take is much easier. They get paid the same whether those "vicious predators" thrive in the waters they "manage" or not, so why not make it easy and keep the predators to a minimum.

So, its save the kokanee, create a situation where the highest percentage of stocker bows end up back in "the creel," and kill the predators, or at least look the other way.

Hate is a strong word. I don't hate too many people or things. But yes, I HATE 'em. (State biologists who allow predatory fish to be descimated, or even do it themselves) I do.

They're getting thier wish at Flaming Gorge, that's for sure. There's just enough fish-killers taking just enough giants out of here that its now quite apparent to everyone. The biologists and wardens are just smiling. (I know, they've told me, and I see it in their inactions to infractions and management.)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
It's all about the $ just like everything else in this world.

Trout and Kokanee eat bugs and skrimp which are free and endless.

Pike and Lakers eat trout and kokanee which cost $ to provide.

Kokanee make eggs which actually earn $.

I don't like it either, but is is really that hard to understand? C.R.E.A.M.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to know there are others out there who like me think the management of some of our waters is a joke. People always say to get out there and attend DOW meetings and make your voice heard. Just like all other government agencies in this country; anything short of a riot nothing is going to get changed. I know DiD has attend many of these meetings and as far as I know it didn't help a wink.

Like this new reg at green mountain. Why can't they put a slot limit in place for the take of 8 lake trout between 14-20". Keep this in place for a year and than the managers can do their job and see its effects. I know some of these projects can take years to complete but you gotta start somewhere.

Between the Laker fisherman and Pike fisherman, they should be afraid, they should be very afraid.
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I think the 8 fish limit on Green Mtn is okay, however, I sure wish it limited people to 1 fish over 28" or so. At least throw us a bone on that and do something to protect the big fish.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I think the 8 fish limit on Green Mtn is okay, however, I sure wish it limited people to 1 fish over 28" or so. At least throw us a bone on that and do something to protect the big fish.
That was my point. Get rid of some of the smaller fish with the 8 fish take but put some sort of size limit on them.

"Whats good for the fish is good for the fisherman"
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
99.99% of the fisherman wont catch a 28 inch Laker out of Green Mountain...and the few that do are the catch and release laker snobs anyway...they could of kept 4 28 inchers before...like they were going to catch them...the place needs some thinning out...tomato plants gotta eat too!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Send your comments to Jon Ewerts thread he is the biologist there and actually listens. If you think it doesn't matter check the fx thread on Williams fork and what happens when they find the last few big fish. Z you are a sick man, go buy some fertilizer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I can't think of a lake in the state that has so many trophy sized fish that a common length couldn't be establishe for each species as trophy sized and then have it be a state slot with a limit. If such a lake existed make the reg specific to it instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Why don't we have representative democracy? ;D

Why is Justin Beiber a "cultural" sensation? ???

Why did the chicken cross the road? ::)

I am 100% with you. But it just makes too much sense to ever happen here. The bureaucrats would be scandalized.

SS

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Jay said:
Also;

an expanding lake trout population

With that said are Lakers successfully spawning in GM?
[me=Jay] [/me]
Jay the lake trout do successfully spawn at Green mtn. and traditionally they just don't do as well there as other places, even when they had ice fishing tournaments for lakers there they couldn't find the large fish, there are no mysis shrimp there and the small lakers seem to get hung up at 16" or so and it seems very few grow into large fish. The same situation is also at Williams fork and both have very small populations of larger fish. Hopefully gill lice has run its course at GM and the kokanee population will be rebounding. The larger bag limits on the smaller plentiful lakers at both reservoirs is ok and hopefully will help the balance but it would be good to see some sort of limit on the few larger fish that provide a chance at a real trophy for many years to come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts