Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why I Don't Bait Fish......well yesterday young grandson, grandma and I decided to forego the boat and join the hoards of shore bound fishers at DeWeese for some good old fashioned "feed 'em something besides feathers and steel" fishing. We found a likely spot and proceeded to tempt them with all manner of bait. I was sitting sunning myself engaged in a deep conversation about boating etiquette with Xob Laim (and not paying attention) when my rod lurched towards the water.....I grabbed it in time to keep it from going in and felt a thunderous thud and then nothing......the rascal broke me off....brand new 6lb. fluorocarbon line. hmmmmmmm wonder what wanted a glob of salmon eggs bad enough to do that. Probably a world class crawdad. I'm going back to Mepps and pheasant tails.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
LOL!! Not being critical... But as someone who fishes with bait often, I have learned to set that drag light until I have a fish on. :). It can get really bad really fast if a big one comes along and you're tight lined with locked drag. :). You get the boy into any?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Not sure why that would discourage you from bait fishing. Seems to me like it should discourage you from using 6# while bait fishing at that lake.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Obviously you don't deserve to be a bait dunker. You give B-Dunkers a bad name.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stand tried and convicted of being a bad bait dunker LOL.......made for a good laugh by the grandson and a story I am sure he will be more than glad to share at my expense when he gets older........BTW he caught a 21" 4.25 lb bow today at a lake up north......not on bait but trolling a devil........all by himself start to finish....I netted it for him.....not bad for almost 10.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts