Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last weekend I had the battle of my life fishing my local river. I saw a feeding carp, so I carefully cast upstream of her and let the current drag my fly down in front of her face. This time of year the water clarity is excellent so I watched her take it, paused for a moment and set the hook... Zzzzzzing... The fish took off fast, and my line started flying off the reel. I couldn't turn or stop her on the first run and she took me almost into backing before darting into some thick brush in the creek. I followed her down as fast as I could and scaled down a 6 foot bank to get in the water. I waded though the thigh deep mud bottom water to the bush and somehow managed to untangle the line and keep the fish on. As soon as I did however she darted straight under my legs super fast and my fly rod doubled over almost to a breaking point. It was that point I realized crap... my keen sandal was stuck in the mud. So here I am, stuck in three foot deep water, fly line between my legs with the fish behind me... I must have looked like a complete disaster. Finally managed to get my foot free, and lift my leg over the line almost falling on my ass in the process, haha. From there it was several more minutes of fighting before she finally came to the net. This fish was only a little over 9 pounds but she had SPUNK and fought way harder than the two carp over ten pounds I caught the week prior. I left my phone on the bank to jump in the water so I didn't get a picture but for your entertainment here's a few pictures of some carp from the creek on some recent outings. Also the fly I've been having the most success with lately (foam trouser worm).
Water Hand Plant People in nature Gesture
Water Water resources Tree Wood Gesture
Water Scaled reptile Fish Fin Terrestrial animal
Road surface Grey Mesh Fish Tail
Water Road surface Organism Wood Scaled reptile

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for posting. Good read! Sounds like a super exciting battle. That deep mud can be sketchy. I always worry I'm gonna lose my balance when I'm in that stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts