Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c5e019/article/mcdaniels-not-ready-to-play-rookie-qb-tebow-as-broncos-fade?module=HP_headlines

I don't care if they are losing. Why would you sit one of the best QBs in the NFL right now? Orthog has definitely been one of the best and I don't think he is the problem. Sitting him in favor of tebow is retarded. Mcdaniels should just answer: "NO I am not going to sit Orton."

I definitely agree That Tebow could have seen some play time in the KC, OAK, and SD games toward the 4th quarter when the game was already decided. But we didn't see Tebow did we?

I think that we are in a situation right now that is almost akin to the Eagles situation. We brought a guy in (Orton, Vick) who is now playing his brains out. The future (Kolb, Tebow) is sitting on the bench and that's the way it should be until further notice. Even if that means that the "future" NEVER gets playing time. You can't sit the hot hand. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
With Orton's stats,,,no way Tebow should start. However...McDumbielsis an absolute dumb arse for not giving Tebow more pt in the games Rivrunnr mentioned. Good job Josh...let's risk our starting qb's health and let him play eventhough we're down by 35 points...that's some smarts right there. :(

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I think they are gonna pad Orton's stats and then trade him like the Patriots did Cassel! They will get good value for him, then use the picks to begin building the defense! Tebow will be the starter next season!

Jim

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'm in the start Tebow camp. Here's why.

1. Although not quite mathematically eliminated, playoff possibilites are dim at best.

2. Orton has good stats, mostly garbage stats...but he doesn't lift his team. His play doesn't elevate those around him. He is quite frankly...Ortonary...Check out his red zone stats, third down stats, and fourth quarter stats...He can't lift a team, or come from behind...

3. Orton can't extend a play, and refuses to stand tall in the pocket when it collapses around him. People hanging off of Big Ben, Rivers, even Manning, and they stand in until the last second...Orton...he ducks and covers...A lot of big plays occur with the quarterback taking a hit.

4. I see no passion in Orton...No win at all costs attitude. No getting in his own players faces ....when things are going good...or bad...He seems like a laid back california kinda guy...I want to see fire and passion...

5. Tebow will never quit...Orton quit last week. It was easy to see...He quit early.

6. Let's see what we have in Tebow. He'll make rookie mistakes, but he'll learn this year, rather than next. If it doesn't look like he has what it takes...It's best to learn now, rather than later.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
This team needs an identity...A field general...A leader...

Even with all of his stats, does anyone feel that Orton's that guy? When you see how pissed off Brady, Manning, and Rivers are after losing. When you see them leading, getting after guys making mistakes, with no tolerance for missed assignments...I see leaders....

I don't see any of that in Orton...I just see a good guy that tries to do his job...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
baetisrun1 said:
I think they are gonna pad Orton's stats and then trade him like the Patriots did Cassel! They will get good value for him, then use the picks to begin building the defense! Tebow will be the starter next season!

Jim
hobiecat said:
I'm in the start Tebow camp. Here's why.

1. Although not quite mathematically eliminated, playoff possibilites are dim at best.

2. Orton has good stats, mostly garbage stats...but he doesn't lift his team. His play doesn't elevate those around him. He is quite frankly...Ortonary...Check out his red zone stats, third down stats, and fourth quarter stats...He can't lift a team, or come from behind...

3. Orton can't extend a play, and refuses to stand tall in the pocket when it collapses around him. People hanging off of Big Ben, Rivers, even Manning, and they stand in until the last second...Orton...he ducks and covers...A lot of big plays occur with the quarterback taking a hit.

4. I see no passion in Orton...No win at all costs attitude. No getting in his own players faces ....when things are going good...or bad...He seems like a laid back california kinda guy...I want to see fire and passion...

5. Tebow will never quit...Orton quit last week. It was easy to see...He quit early.

6. Let's see what we have in Tebow. He'll make rookie mistakes, but he'll learn this year, rather than next. If it doesn't look like he has what it takes...It's best to learn now, rather than later.
hobiecat said:
This team needs an identity...A field general...A leader...

Even with all of his stats, does anyone feel that Orton's that guy? When you see how pissed off Brady, Manning, and Rivers are after losing. When you see them leading, getting after guys making mistakes, with no tolerance for missed assignments...I see leaders....

I don't see any of that in Orton...I just see a good guy that tries to do his job...
Just gonna quote these for future use. The fact that Jim and Dave are both saying start tebow only cements my belief that it's the wrong move. ;D

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Orton has showed plenty of emotion. Even calling out other teams cb's and calling them cheap. If the current Broncos regime has done anything right it's Orton. I was at the SD game last year where they started Simms. They were done from the get, but once Orton entered in the third, they all of a sudden had life. That inspired the guys around him, even though they they didn't make it in the end zone on that first drive, it really got the other broncos pumped and you could see it on the field.

I think drafting Tebow is a moot point cause Orton is here to stay. He's proving he's a franchise capable qb, and the Broncos obliged by giving him 9M for next year. Thats not backup money...

What I wonder is when will McDaniels Brees him and push him aside in favor of the young unproven phenom? Given that 9M, I'm sure it'll be the 2012 off season. Mark my words, Orton will be the most sought after free agent that year.

Rob

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c5e019/article/mcdaniels-not-ready-to-play-rookie-qb-tebow-as-broncos-fade?module=HP_headlines

I don't care if they are losing. Why would you sit one of the best QBs in the NFL right now? Orthog has definitely been one of the best and I don't think he is the problem. Sitting him in favor of tebow is retarded. Mcdaniels should just answer: "NO I am not going to sit Orton."

I definitely agree That Tebow could have seen some play time in the KC, OAK, and SD games toward the 4th quarter when the game was already decided. But we didn't see Tebow did we?

I think that we are in a situation right now that is almost akin to the Eagles situation. We brought a guy in (Orton, Vick) who is now playing his brains out. The future (Kolb, Tebow) is sitting on the bench and that's the way it should be until further notice. Even if that means that the "future" NEVER gets playing time. You can't sit the hot hand. Am I wrong?
i agree why sit orton its not his fault they suck , the defense is bad thats where they need to draft next year

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
The fact that Jim and Dave are both saying start tebow only cements my belief that it's the wrong move. ;D
That's twice in one day that I agree with you. :eek: Gotta be some kind of a record. :p

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
And knowing that's how you belive....only re-enforces my belief that starting Tebow would be the right decision...It's too bad that McDaniels seems to agree with you.

Shoot, I'd take it even further. I'd sit Gaffney, and give Decker some playing time. Decker won't get much time backing up Royal, and Gaffney, although a very good player, should see less time in the years going forward.

I'd sit Dawkins when McBath gets healthy.

I'd sit Jones and play Syd Quan...

I'd play Quinn and sit Graham...Quinn played very well last week opening holes for Moreno...

I'd also start cherry picking players off of other teams practice squads...especially D lineman, linebackers, and safeties...

Lets get the experiance for our youth...and take advantage of this opportunity...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
There is no need to play Tebow. He is not ready to be an every down quarterback. Orton has played well and earned the right to play. He also was signed to an extension for next year so Tebow won't be starting next year either. After Tebow has sat on the bench a couple years and learned, maybe he will be ready. Rivers sat on the bench for 2 years behind Brees and Aaron Rodgers did the same behind Farve. They turned out ok. Rushing Tebow into action would be a huge mistake. Especially with 2 rookies on the line!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Too early to start those guys, hobie. Once they are mathematically eliminated, okay, maybe start playing some of them more. But you don't surrender the season yet. That sends the wrong message to everyone, team and fans alike.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hobiecat said:
I'd sit Dawkins when McBath gets healthy.

I'd sit Jones and play Syd Quan...
I agree here. I loved how Syd Quan looked when he played. I have been wondering why the hell he isn't in there more often. Dawkins is old. His career is about done. I would like to see Decker more also, but I would NOT sit gaffney. Just get him in there a bit more.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Tell the truth...You're sitting at home...watching the game...down by two scores late in the third...Do you really feel like Orton can bring you back.?

Orton would be successfull on the Titans team...Good defense, great running game...Good offensive line...A team designed to run...and run some more..

gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Too early to start those guys, hobie. Once they are mathematically eliminated, okay, maybe start playing some of them more. But you don't surrender the season yet. That sends the wrong message to everyone, team and fans alike.

I don't think of it as surrendering the season....I see it as preparing for the future. How often does a team get the chance to play youth and give them experiance during the season...It sucks...I know...but that's where we're at. Six games against teams trying to make the playoffs. Real bullets flying. Seeing our rookies play...I'd like that more than padding our win total or overall stats...

Bradford's starting, Freeman played last season. Sanchez started...Flacco, Stafford..McCoy...I really don't think the game's too big for Tebow.

Our other young guys with talent....The more they play...the better they'll get...I'm wanting to play for next season and the years after..wanting to see a team built for the long haul. We pretty much know what we have with some of our players...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
As a fan, I would be outraged to see them hoist the white flag and sit their best players the rest of this season, especially if I had laid out my money for season tickets.

It would take a long time to repair the damage that would do with most fans.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
You see it one way...I see it another.

As a fan, I would be outraged to see them hoist the white flag and sit their best players the rest of this season, especially if I had laid out my money for season tickets.

Actually starting Tebow would fill the stadium, and bring a premium for those season tickets...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

No doubt don!
Hobie take off your blinders man!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts