Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of going places that won't take credit cards under a certain amount. Look I understand there are fee's merchants have to pay to run credit cards. But you know what, that's part of doing business. From what I know its a % of the sale. So whether or not its 3% on $8.00 or 3% on 80.00 it's all relative IMO.

Places I wont shop due to this BS;

Valley Country
Denver Fish Warehouse
Myxed Up

This is just me and I dont expect anyone to agree with it but I for one am taking a stand. I would rather spend the extra $ driving out of my way than to be forced to buy more of something I dont need or want.
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
797 Posts
Its your money do what you want with it, also I agree it sucks and I've walked out of a place or 2 because of the credit card min. policy in fact there is a place I used to buy carpet pad from that didnt take cards. This wasnt just for min purchases but for hundreds of dollars of padding it was unbelievable I guess the owner would have 100% of nothing than 97% of a sale?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have never heard of this? I kind of see what they are thinking, but if the are set-up right on the CC processing, it is all percentage based.

Working with a very small business it is tough!! We get orders all the time for ONE hd trout ! No big right, WRONG. That order has to be put into a padded envelope, addressed and DRIVEN to the PO. the round trip takes 30-45 minutes. Now we do try to wait and make sure there are multiple orders to be shipped at once, but you can't hold someones order for days waiting for more to come in, so we LOSE quite a bit of money shipping out that 1 lure, but we still do it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Personally I support as many small mom and pop shops as I can, from small gas stations to small hotels to small bait shops/liquor stores etc.

Wallmarts handy but buying foreign is ruining this country.

USA ;D

my 1cent worth 8)

·
Registered
386 Posts
FFG,
I've never understood how someone can buy ONE lure. You have to, in my opinion, have at least two of each color pattern you like because the first one is surely going to get snapped off by a large fish, caught somewhere it can't be retrieved from, or sent 137 yards across the water when your knot that you tied three trips ago finally lets go!
You know the fish want that lure and you don't have a spare. Not good!!
When I find something that works I buy six at a time, as it's just about the cheapest part of fishing......what does a tank of gas cost from the Springs or Denver to a lake in South Park?? ......and you want to save five bucks on a lure??
Bill

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Can't remember where it was, but I was in a store that had a minimum $10 card purchase. It was one of those stores that it's really hard to spend $10 in too.... I thought that was pretty lame of them. :p

Another thing I hate, ATM terminal fees... WTF is up with that? I have to PAY you to get to MY money? Lame! :mad:

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Another thing I hate, ATM terminal fees... WTF is up with that? I have to PAY you to get to MY money? Lame! :mad:
Word, I too hate that crap!
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jay
From what Ive heard, paying a "min" in order to use the CC is highly illegal and those caught are put on the black list of credit card processors which means they can lose their ability to take any CC. Ive heard the "min" is there because small shops have to pay more in the long run than a big store like walmart that brushes it off. Just a heads up, not 100% on this.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Southplatter said:
Jay
From what Ive heard, paying a "min" in order to use the CC is highly illegal and those caught are put on the black list of credit card processors which means they can lose their ability to take any CC. Ive heard the "min" is there because small shops have to pay more in the long run than a big store like walmart that brushes it off. Just a heads up, not 100% on this.
It's not illegal to state there is a min to use a credit card. It is illegal to charge more for a product to cover the credit card fee. Some stores get around that by saying cash discount, but if a credit card company is notified that a business is making you cover their credit card fees, they can be fined and cans possibly disallowed to use the credit card company.

Also, percentage changes depending on the amount that is charged. It is a certain percent up to $2000 (not sure the exact number), after that the percentage goes up.

Try buying a car with your credit card! I tried, but they wouldn't let me charge more than $2500. I want those airline miles damnit!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I have never heard of this? I kind of see what they are thinking, but if the are set-up right on the CC processing, it is all percentage based.

Working with a very small business it is tough!! We get orders all the time for ONE hd trout ! No big right, WRONG. That order has to be put into a padded envelope, addressed and DRIVEN to the PO. the round trip takes 30-45 minutes. Now we do try to wait and make sure there are multiple orders to be shipped at once, but you can't hold someones order for days waiting for more to come in, so we LOSE quite a bit of money shipping out that 1 lure, but we still do it.
My father has to ship plastic samples alll the time! And his office is at his home. he uses us mail and has found them to be the cheapest! They come into his office and drop off mail and pick it up! if he's not home he has a shipping and receiving box for them!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Vitesse304 said:
Southplatter said:
Jay
It's not illegal to state there is a min to use a credit card.
Re-phrase: Illegal to refuse payment w/ CC, which doesnt not meet the "min"

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Wow. I remember when it was a 'big thing' that my former employer finally got set up with a credit card account. Given, it was a bridal and fabric supply, and most of our customers always paid with checks. Then the big check fraud thing got out of control. One thing leads to another....

That was also when a 'credit card machine' was a knucklebuster and you had to call in all your cards and talk with an actual operator for an authorization. Now it's just swipe and go. And yes, you can get a USB card reader for your laptop based point of sale operation, and now you can get a swiper for your smart phone. How times have changed. (Most people I work with have never had to 'call in' for a card authorization - unless there's a huge problem - I learned how to run a store without a computer, cash register, or power - worked for an 'essential' place that had to be open after power failures, etc - Radio Shack of old - the store 3 blocks away from the WTC stayed open and continued to supply needed goods during a huge incident (9/11) for 3 weeks with no power, one working (cell) phone, and no cash register.)

Oh, those 'private' ATM's - try one armed bandits! Fees on top of fees on top of fees.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well speaking up does help, I think.

Please don't take into consideration what I was buying as it has nothing to do with this. Here is what I emailed to one of the stores in question;

> To the owner of the Aurora location,
>
> I just wanted to contact you and let you know you lost a long time customer. I have been coming in your store for a long time and have spent lots of money with you. Tonight I went in to buy a couple books of rolling papers. At the time of checkout I was told I could not use my master card for purchases under $5.00. I have to tell you this is crap. Listen, I understand there are fee's associated with the processing of credit cards to merchant's; but you know what; If a business is that ticky-tack maybe they should not be in business in the first place. IT'S PART OF OWNING A BUSINESS. This is why it's getting harder and harder to support small businesses.
>
> Thank you for your time.

I just received a reply;

Hi Jay,
Thank you for the email - we really appreciate your feedback. Because of your input, we have re-evaluated our credit card policy and will soon be implementing a change. We are going to start accepting credit cards on purchases under $5, but a $1 fee will be added to these purchases. Credit card companies charge us many different fees for each transaction and we do need to cover these fees.
We are sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with us - if you let us know what kind of rolling papers you were trying to purchase, we will get you a free pack.
Thank you again for your input!
Myxed Up Creations
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Jay, I don't know where you live, but I know there is a mixed up creation on east colfax.... I drive from lakewood, right passed there and go to
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Blown-Glass-Accessories/140918495949352
or
http://blownsmokeshop.com/

Hand down, it is one of the best head shops I've gone to in my life. Good prices, always, always deals going on, and really nice folks. I drive all the way across town because it's worth it.

Don't know about a minimum CC though, but for some papers... I scrounge up some quarters.. Zigs cost like $1.25 there

1 - 20 of 26 Posts