Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the info on CNN....Its interesting to see "behind the curtain" analysis in foreign affairs. The noose is being slowly tightened on Wikileaks which is regrettable. I have particularly enjoyed analysis on certain world leaders particularly Karzai and Zardari. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
410 Posts
i think the man is exposing alot of truth. The trut always come out in the wash as it is now. Even if they close in on him someone else will p/u the info and expose it. To many people are mad about our govt and the world for this not to go anywhere. I just want to fish/hunt!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I think it's all an interesting read, but regrettable. Successful diplomacy requires the ability to communicate candidly with your own people, which means secrecy.

So, let's criminalize this sort of conduct for the future, but in the interim let's hunt down the Wikileaks founder and see if we can't find a crime that will fit his conduct. >:D Give him some due process then throw away the key. :mad:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Our govt has lied lied lied and lied more. I am glad that info is being exposed. We have gone around this world implicating our policies. Democracy does not work for all. Fly fishing does not work for all, yet spoon or bait fishing does does work for some. I am glad to see the fat cats of washinton sweat.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Updated: Sun., Dec. 5, 2010, 5:53 PM
WikiLeaks will release encrypted 'doomsday file' if site blocked
Last Updated: 5:53 PM, December 5, 2010

Posted: 1:09 PM, December 5, 2010

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has circulated across the internet an encrypted “poison pill” cache of uncensored documents suspected to include files on BP and Guantanamo Bay.

One of the files identified this weekend by The (London) Sunday Times — called the “insurance” file -- has been downloaded from the WikiLeaks website by tens of thousands of supporters, from America to Australia.

Assange warns that any government that tries to curtail his activities risks triggering a new deluge of state and commercial secrets.

The military papers on Guantanamo Bay, yet to be published, believed to have been supplied by Bradley Manning, who was arrested in May. Other documents that Assange is confirmed to possess include an aerial video of a US airstrike in Afghanistan that killed civilians, BP files and Bank of America documents.

One of the key files available for download -- named insurance.aes256 -- appears to be encrypted with a 256-digit key. Experts said last week it was virtually unbreakable.

Assange has warned he can divulge the classified documents in the insurance file and similar backups if he is detained or the WikiLeaks website is permanently removed from the internet. He has suggested the contents are unredacted, posing a possible security risk for coalition partners around the world.

Assange warned: “We have over a long period of time distributed encrypted backups of material we have yet to release. All we have to do is release the password to that material, and it is instantly available.”

The “doomsday files” are part of a contingency plan drawn up by Assange and his supporters as they face a legal threat. He is wanted in Sweden over sexual assault allegations, and the US is reviewing the possibility of legal action after the release of 250,000 diplomatic cables.

Ben Laurie, a London-based computer security expert who has advised WikiLeaks, said: “Julian’s a smart guy and this is an interesting tactic. He will hope it deters anyone from acting against him.”

Nigel Smart, professor of cryptology at Bristol University, said even powerful military computers would be unable to crack the encryption. He said: “This isn’t something that can be broken with a modern computer. You need the key to open it.”

The file is 1.4 gigabytes in size, which would be big enough for a compressed version of all the files released this year and additional data.

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc.

nypost.com , nypostonline.com , and newyorkpost.com are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.

Copyright 2010 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy | Terms of Use

·
Registered
844 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I think it's all an interesting read, but regrettable. Successful diplomacy requires the ability to communicate candidly with your own people, which means secrecy.

So, let's criminalize this sort of conduct for the future, but in the interim let's hunt down the Wikileaks founder and see if we can't find a crime that will fit his conduct. >:D Give him some due process then throw away the key. :mad:
Couldn't agree more, the way some of the info was gathered was illegal and should have never happened in the first place. The original leaker should face a firing squad and maybe the next will think differently.
As for Mr. Assange, I suspect he may at some point find himself in a situation in which he may never be heard from again. Good riddance.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
73fisherman said:
I respectfully disagree. Our govt has lied lied lied and lied more. I am glad that info is being exposed. We have gone around this world implicating our policies. Democracy does not work for all. Fly fishing does not work for all, yet spoon or bait fishing does does work for some. I am glad to see the fat cats of washinton sweat.
Um welcome to the way EVERY country works dude. Your glad that info that could put peoples lives in danger is being relased. Really?

·
Registered
410 Posts
"Um welcome to the way EVERY country works dude. Your glad that info that could put peoples lives in danger is being relased. Really?"

I never once said anything about "endangering lives" go back and read what I wrote again. I said, I am glad he is exposing the truth of our goverment(I like the truth ;) ) ........dude. What other countries have you scene opperate first hand, outside of reading about it or military related?? I find it funny though, Manning - a very junior soldier indeed who holds the lowest rank in the US Army's enlisted structure - shouldn't have been able to trawl as much classified information as he allegedly did, and should never have been able to get it off his government system and away to Wikileaks as easily as he allegedly did ( I say allegedly because ''innocent til proven guilty'') If found guilty he needs to have his guts strung out via a running horse. Julian Assange has no loyalty to this country he is not american how can you charge him for treason or any other crime? What is he guilty of and under whos law?......... In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more serious acts of betrayal of one's sovereign or nation- This fits Manning. Perhaps the very same people he ratted out should have done a better job hiring him! Dont shoot the messanger :)

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
73fisherman said:
I never once said anything about "endangering lives" go back and read what I wrote again. I said, I am glad he is exposing the truth of our goverment(I like the truth
You didn't have to say anything about endangering lives... it goes without saying... It absolutely sucks that this is happening, and it absolutely threatens our security. I am sure you would like to live in a world that is perfect and neat and everyone tells the truth all the time, but that world doesn't exist, and secrets have to be kept to ensure strength and also so our troops are not put in further harms way.

Solesearcher said it in a light way, quoting a movie, but it is correct... you can't handle the truth, and neither can so many other folks...

It amazes and saddens me that any American could say that they are glad this is happening...

By the way, the "insurance" documents will hold a TON of weight... He is litterally blackmailing the free world with these documents, and make no mistake, they hold info that is DAMNING to our country and our cause... that kind of chit can't be leaked and our gov knows it..

·
Registered
410 Posts
If guilty Hang Manning! As a Ranger(3rd Ranger Bat.) I am pretty sure I understand the need to be stealthy, secertive and a mushroom ;) . I had to prove my self to even obtain the knowledge that I had i.e. Ranger school. Please tell me why this young solider was allowed access to all these documents? Under whose law do we convict Julian Assange? It did not happen on US soil. What ogligation does he have to our country(Manning took a oath to deffend)? All I have heard is the generic term "lives are in danger". All of our ''lives are in danger'' trusting our goverment. So your right, lets side step the Constitution as we seem to do more and more every day and go hunt someone down of ends of the earth because he obtains the knowledge form a solider who took an oath that could bring the country down for good. The part that scares the crap out of me is these are the same goverment officals who have there hand on the nuke button. The goverment does not take ANY accountability for anything. I am glad someone is holding them to the standard of what they should have been all along. Correct me if i am wrong, we have been hunting down Bin Ladden for the past decade if not longer. Shouldnt we focus on his a** then worry about Julian Assange? Bin Ladden didnt endanger lives..... He took them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think he could be charged with espionage, subversion, any charges that would be appropriate for a spy or foreign enemy who is attacking our country.
Manning if convicted is clearly guilty of treason. How he got to do what he did is unbelievable. Why did he do it?
Assange is a one man wrecking crew and probably an anarchist set on nothing but destruction and needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The goverment is trying to find a way to hang Julian Assange. Problem is what laws has he actually broke? The world is watching.......Our goverment is going to have to follow this one by the book. Not half a**ed like the goverment does with every thing else it handles. I do not hold Julian Assange accountable for this. That sorry a** Manning needs to be drawn and quartered.

I really wonder whose lifes are in danger? For the love of god we are the most technlogical advanced country in world why has it been over a decade hunting Bin Ladden and we have not been able to find him??? We have satellites, spy planes and troops on the ground. How many US soliders are going to die hunting this piece of sh**?

Another key example of our goverment putting peoples(US troops) ''lives in danger'' When we invaded Haiti we went in with half of what we usually have. You can thank Clinton's budget cuts for that. There is a bottom line at what ever we do. what i am saying is our country does not give a rats hairy a** about anything but the bottm line no matter how many lives are in danger.So no I dont believe for one minute that Julian Assange put anyones lives in danger. No more than our country does every day ;).

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
This guy has now turned himself into nothing but a cyber-thief and terrorist. We need to find him and take him out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts