Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to Wild Basin yesterday and fished Ouzel Creek about a mile below the falls. Tons and tons of brookies everywhere. It was pretty tight cover, but I've always had fun bushwacking and fishing. I"ve caught some pretty nice fish up there before, but this time nothing bigger than about ten inches. I was using 1/8 ounce panther martins.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You're always introducing us to remote places that are loaded with fish. You got me hooked on heading up to these places as well as poring over topographic maps for isolated ponds and creeks (I just discovered that if you look at a topographic map like Delorme's with a magnifying glass, you can see in 3-D--the trails and creeks really stand out ...way cool). Unfortunately, I now realize that the summer is ending and these places will soon freeze up. It seems like just yesterday that these places thawed out. So where is wild basin?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually part of Rocky Mountain National Park. You can get to it off of Peak to Peak highway south of Lily Lake and Estes Park. I think it's the Middle St. Vrain that the entrance road follows. If you've never been up there, I'd definitely check it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts