Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

How long will it take for pueblo to fill up?

• 1-3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6 years

• 7-10 years

• over 10 years

• never

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As low as Pueblo is I wonder how long it will take to fill up, hell it might never fill up again. The bass fishing in spring is still pretty good but the bass don't have much habitat to spawn in which will keep this lake from ever reaching it's potential. I took a few guide trips to pueblo 4 or 5 years ago and all the spots the guides showed me are dried up. I know the spotted bass are taking over the lake and I think the reason for that is that they like to spawn in a little deeper water. So the drought has already affected the lake for the long term. Less smallies and largemouth. What do you guys think? 5 years, 10 years, Never.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
when i was investigating blue heron ponds in florence i spoke with the BLM guy incharge of these ponds and he was talking bout going ahead with plans to expand pueblo and that when completed the lake would be only a mile or so from the east end of florence. seams they had plans to expand it but with the big drought it got put on the back burner. but with rain and snow fall picking up the last few years they are working towards it again. if we keep getting good precipitation the lake will come back rather quick because with good rain and snow here and down stream of pueblo not only will the lake fill quicker but less will be drawn out might be a good time to scout out potential future structure

im betting 3-5 years to max the lake at current capacity as long as we have favorable conditions, although the last half of this summer wasnt fery favorable hope it picks up this fall/winter and next year. looking back on historical #'s we should be at the end of the drought hope this holds true

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
It all comes down to snowpack and how wet the summers are. I am betting on a higher than average snow fall and rainfall for the next couple of years. then it will fill back up.

When that happens there will be tons of forage fish because of all the flooded bushes and weeds. Fishing will be tough for a couple of years then Bam! it will be great for a few years. Lots of big fish!

But then again. It might never refill.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
even if it dont fill it is still a good sized puddle to fish in

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I got mixed emotions about expanding the dam. The plan calls for adding 80 vertical feet to the lakes storage capacity and while this would make for one heck of a lake in wet years I think the water level fluctuations from year to year would be off the chart. That could really screw up the fishing. I know Lake Powell fluctuates one heck of alot from year to year-mostly down the past few years and it seems OK. But generally bigtime water level changes are not good for fishing.

The altenate plan to enlarge Brush Hollow might be more doable anyway. Seems like the political types in Pueblo and CS are never gonna get together on enlarging Pueblo.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im all for the enlargement of both lakes they are going to go up and down no mater what there size if during the next wet cycle they can fill it full and then another 80ft beyond that all the better we will be able to withstand the next drought. i think the yearly difference will be similar going down each year during a dought and up some each year when nice and wet just the biger it is the more years of drought before it gets really small

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think you cant just look at one reserviour, there are so many reserviours along all the river systems that need water that unless we have a bunch of rainy seasons and very good snowpack it will take a long time to fill up.
Unfortunately the water systems here and in the states surrounding us are symbiotic, I even saw a show on the Colorado river, in the show they stated that every drop of water in the Colorado is accounted for and allocated. Damn Californians.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I even saw a show on the Colorado river, in the show they stated that every drop of water in the Colorado is accounted for and allocated. Damn Californians.
the Colorado river no longer flows to the sea, it disappears many miles before it reaches the gulf of mexico

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I can't vote on this one because you forgot to put in a category for "I don't have a clue." :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
here's a different way to ask the question.

will pueblo fill with water faster than it is silting in?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thats a good point roadkill, the Ark dumps a lot of silt in that upper end. Has any one fished the Arkansas above the res. I know the division of wildlife stocked a lot of Mac. rainbows in it a few years back.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
no but i've allways wondered how far up the ark do cats and bass move. is there anything that would stop them from getting up near florence and canon city?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I haven't seen anything that would slow them down. Probably depends on the time of year, but cats and a few other speicies probably run up there at some point. I've heard wiper run up in the spring. It would be a pretty good area for trout except for the silt, there so much of it, it covers most of the rocks, so not much food.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
by the time the river gets up to florence it has no real signs of the silt. probly once you get up enough from the lake that it is still flowwing fast you wouldnt notice the silt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts