Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody had any idea if they were going to open Cheeseman this year. If they are when does the ice typically come off that lake? I know it is a deep lake so does that mean it will take longer to thaw?

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
When I flew to cabo last week I could see cheeseman and it was about 1/2 open. You know what I'm thinkin-Later

M

·
0 Posts
cdow page says no plans to open it this year

qt from the page...

Cheesman ? Reclamation work in the wake of the 2002 Hayman has been completed but the reservoir remains closed to fishing because of a remaining danger from still-standing burned snags. Denver Water says it will not reopen this year.

M

·
0 Posts
My guess is they dont want fisherman messing around, getting any of the stumps into the water, and also erosion may still be a problem with all the ashy dirt and stuff, not sure, but thats my guess

·
Registered
838 Posts
It is a liability issue. Standing dead trees (aka snags) can fall over without warning and squish you into fish chum. They need to get in there and cut them down

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mustang said:
cdow page says no plans to open it this year

qt from the page...

Cheesman ? Reclamation work in the wake of the 2002 Hayman has been completed but the reservoir remains closed to fishing because of a remaining danger from still-standing burned snags. Denver Water says it will not reopen this year.
That's what it said last year. Has it been updated yet this year?

M

·
0 Posts
the whole site looks updated recently, so i assumed, but i dont know for sure?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
that liability stuff is bs...but I know that is the reason, even if it doesn't fly in colorado.
I know this is off topic, but what type/size of fish are in cheeseman? Can anyone give me a basic breakdown of it? Thanks. Hope you guys can fish it this year!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cheesman has both warmwater and coldwater fish including pike and the potential for a state record smallie. I've been waiting every year for it to reopen.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
JUST got off the phone with Denver Water-the guy told me NO OPENING this year. Possibly 2007 but don't hold your breath. Bummer.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TroutFishingBear said:
that liability stuff is bs...but I know that is the reason, even if it doesn't fly in colorado.
I know this is off topic, but what type/size of fish are in cheeseman? Can anyone give me a basic breakdown of it? Thanks. Hope you guys can fish it this year!
It is basically the best lake in the state. IMO I have a boat and I fish off my boat a lot and I would rather walk around Cheeseman in August then fish off my boat at Elevenmile in September. If you know what you are doing which I know you do then you can catch 100 smallmouth in a day there, with 5-10 of them being 15 inches or bigger. The really cool thing is that you never know what you have on when you get a bite. It could be a 4 lb smallie, a 20 pound pike, or a 5 lb trout. ( Kind of like your fav the Yampa) They have lake trout there too.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I know where I'm gonna fish on the east slope when it opens :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
JUST got off the phone with Denver Water-the guy told me   NO OPENING this year. Possibly 2007 but don't hold your breath. Bummer.
Yeah thats what they told me last year.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
There used to be kokes in there.They quit stocking them several years ago when they had that shortage of koke eggs. I snagged 37 one year in goose creek. Then I learned to catch them on kasty's in the summer. It would be 98 degrees in denver in august and we were up there wailing on 15-19" kokes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
that's bad news to hear about the kokes not being in there anymore. That's where I caught my very first one. I just love that place especially that beautiful turquoise water. By the way, it is not the best reservoir, it is probably the worst and nobody should ever go there when it reopens, plus the drive up to it is horrible.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know what you are right. LOL The good thing is that is is way to much walking for most people so they won't go as long as they don't build any trails or roads around it.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
For the uninitiated,it IS a brutal walk to access the farther reaches. I've gone through 3 qts. of water walkin around there and needed more. It's bone-numbing cold, brain-searing hot ,dry,steep,slippery,rattlesnakes,horsefly's,massive lightning storms,howling winds,and that's a good day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts