Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to willy's with my son, since he's proven to love ice fishing and is a real trooper.

no pics so if you don't wanna believe me... that's on you.

walked out a mile to a pretty well known dropoff that goes from 18 to 70 feet in a matter of 20 feet. drilled 3 holes 7 feet apart from each other and worked each hole, chasing fish that were swimming up and down the water column... a tactic I learned that works great during higher water years on willys. had to work for them, but we managed a limit of 8 keeper lakers (biggest 22 inches, smallest 14) using heavy 1/2 oz charteuse tubes worked aggressively tipped with dead shiners. fish would hit at various depths due to the nature of the area. son was stoked to be outside and sat with me the whole time, asking questions about the vex. fished from 8-12pm. ice was 10 inches with minimal snow and slush. get out there while you can... I'll probably be going to green mountain next weekend, weather pending. Stoked on life that I finally got the best fishing buddy anyone can ask for.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Cool. We were there too.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Good job with the kiddo!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice. cold as balls as usual?
It was actually quite pleasant. I coulda pulled off the crocs n shorts but being 80 pounds less.... I bundled up, lol. Stoked I can finally fit in my snow pants.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
"Dad" works well for you Dave! I can't believe your son is tagging along already, and speaking. Seems like yesterday when you were still in a mash pit...

I need to get out, away from work!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Where were you at? We were out in front of pike flats.... (Hotspot alert woop woop)
We parked near the east boat ramp and fished 3 different locations. Probably saw you in the distance at some point. You might have seen us too. I think we are the only fools who trekked across the lake...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts