Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whent to willy's Fork yesterday looking for pike. Saw a few fish in Johnsons bay, and then got a couple hits but no hook ups on the pike flats towards the inlet. Alll and all kinda a disapointing day. A lot of follows, but no real positive responses. I threw it all, divers, deceivers, bunny flies, cuda flies, you name it I heaved it! Water was at 55 which is right abotu there. The Vegetations is starting to come up as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
Whent to willy's Fork yesterday looking for pike. Saw a few fish in Johnsons bay, and then got a couple hits but no hook ups on the pike flats towards the inlet. Alll and all kinda a disapointing day. A lot of follows, but no real positive responses. I threw it all, divers, deceivers, bunny flies, cuda flies, you name it I heaved it! Water was at 55 which is right abotu there. The Vegetations is starting to come up as well.
That lake can be problematic. A number of times I have gone up there for either Rainbows, Lakers or Pike and had no success. A few times it was amazing for Trout - big and fat. This has always been when the weather is cold and windy in the early spring or late fall.

·
Registered
529 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
Water was at 55 which is right abotu there. 
The ice just went off the the lake and it seems to me the water temp is more like 45 this time of year as it is at all other lakes right now. Are you sure on your reading cause I suspect it is off by 10 degrees?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like you were fly fishing, but I've had the same problems before at many lakes including Williams Fork. Lots of follows, no real hits. I purchased some Pike/Muskie scent from Cabelas which has seemed to help with getting more strikes. I'm not quite sure how they would work with flies, but I assume it may not hurt. I fish mostly crankbaits and jerkbaits, but pike on a fly has to be awesome.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 welcome home. I should have known you would be chasing the pike as soon as you got back. I was planning on heading up to W.F. for the next couple of days but my girlfriend says she doesn't want to go pike fishing for our anniversary. Sheesh! I should be up there after memorial day though. You think I will still be able to get one on the fly then?

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's too funny! (and possibly very accurate). It all depends upon how she makes it up to him. I understand someone possibly not wanting to go fishing, at one time or another, on a very infrequent basis (although, I guess I'm being rather empathetic, as it has never happened to me).
If she's a trooper and goes out 99 out of 100 times and doesn't complain (unless there really is something to complain about, that you are as well) and even enjoys herself, she's a keeper. However, if she only seemingly enjoys herself and makes a pattern of coming up with excuses not to go, well, you may not be the only one fishing, at this point. Beware, possilby rough and/or dangerous waters ahead.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I was just kidding. My second favorite hobby is going to restaurants. So a couple days in denver for the anniversary covers that.

MMMMMMM I love going out to eat!

Oh but anyways.....

My girlfriend is always down to go fishing. She really enjoys it. She ties all her own knots and unhooks her own fish. Most of the time she out fishes me. She also doesn't care if I go out by myself. The best part is we can go fish some place that takes hours to get to and fish in bad weather and get skunked and she doesn't care. She still has a good time. I can't say that about most of my friends.

But back to the point at hand. Am I going to get my first pike at the fork soon?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry it took me a little bit to get back to yall. Anyway, about the water temp. That was a surface temp and a real quick one. However, I was fishing that inlet creek by the lonetree hole and the water did feel warmer then 45...so we'll say 50.

Water levels were up about as much as they'll be all year....which I must say is quite full. However, they just bumped the flows comin out when I was up there so it's tough to say how long they'll be holding that water level.

I've thought about putting some sent on my flies...the purests will frown but I could care less. I do what I gotta do.

As for women and fishing...I personally prefer to leave the anchor at home :p

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fished the Fork Sat. Caught 1 laker on a whole sucker deadsticking. Saw 3 pike over 36 in. taken on the same rig. Weather was great fishing was slow.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My girlfriend usually outfishes me too, hatchmaster. Hey, if you're looking for a great place to eat, i.e. pretty classy with lower prices than in LODO, try the restaurant called Assignments at 675 south broadway. It is run by chef students and has always been great with good prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts