Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
From the other site.

Reply by: red rocket Posted: May. 28, 10:02:09 PM Points: 0
I talked to Jim at rmo and he did say to keep big pike over the slot so ... I called the biologist and he promptly called me back I would like to help manage the lake I told him he said people that fish at
w f are good about putting the big ones back . He also said they were worried about the kokanee especially in the 10 inch range . Needless to say Jim said the pike grow about 6 inches a year .. not correct they grow at that rate tell they reach 30 inches then they slow to about 2 inches a year so I'm going to keep the small fish to eat and put the big boys back .. personally I think they should not allow outfitters on our public water . All this coming from fishing at the fork since 1978!!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
From the other site.

Reply by: red rocket Posted: May. 28, 10:02:09 PM Points: 0
I talked to Jim at rmo and he did say to keep big pike over the slot so ... I called the biologist and he promptly called me back I would like to help manage the lake I told him he said people that fish at
w f are good about putting the big ones back . He also said they were worried about the kokanee especially in the 10 inch range . Needless to say Jim said the pike grow about 6 inches a year .. not correct they grow at that rate tell they reach 30 inches then they slow to about 2 inches a year so I'm going to keep the small fish to eat and put the big boys back .. personally I think they should not allow outfitters on our public water . All this coming from fishing at the fork since 1978!!!
Sure glad we got to the bottom of that :D

Does anyone speak eff-ex-arr? I need a translation.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I want to thank Red rocket for his efforts trying to get to the bottom of this issue, I totally agree with his summation on releasing the big fish and not wanting outfitters on WF.
I have seen plenty of evidence, reports and pictures of people killing big fish there, without any census on the lake how can they make the assumption that most are released?

So the Biologist and the DPW are worried about 10" Kokanee that are devastated by Gill lice and Killing big Pike some how is going to help this situation?

The only way to get rid of Gill lice is to quit stocking Kokanee for several years like they did at 11 mile.

We could easily come to the conclusion that big fish eating Kokanee could actually help the Gill lice problem.

Green Mtn. is managed for Kokanee even though it has also been devastated by Gill lice.

I'm sorry I worked so hard to get Williams Fork as an additional Kokanee egg taking area as the results have backfired as follows,

Screening off and electrifying the River shut off all of the natural Kokanee spawning areas in the River and has been detrimental to the Brown Trout trying to spawn also.

The egg taking program resulted in the closing of the inlet and the loss of fishing areas clear out to the buoys.

We have much better and more successful egg taking areas now thanks to the Merwin traps at Wolford and Nighthorse Lakes providing Millions of eggs with minimal efforts.

So after 40 years of success with the management of Pike at Williams fork this is what we've learned.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
The pike hate in this state makes me sick.... When will they realize that people want big fish, not just trout? sigh

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just keep doing what's right Steve, like you have done all the's years.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Screening off and electrifying the River shut off all of the natural Kokanee spawning areas in the River and has been detrimental to the Brown Trout trying to spawn also.

The egg taking program resulted in the closing of the inlet and the loss of fishing areas clear out to the buoys.
These side effects are indeed pretty brutal.

You mention working hard at some point to get WF as an egg take location. Just curious, what were the motivations / foreseeable benefits of that at the time?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
These side effects are indeed pretty brutal.

You mention working hard at some point to get WF as an egg take location. Just curious, what were the motivations / foreseeable benefits of that at the time?
When the Kokanee were crashing in the late 90's at Granby due to multiple reasons the result was the loss of the Historic Slot protection on Lake trout and raising of the the limit.
I was campaigning for finding new egg taking areas in lieu of the powers within the DOW's supposed solution to devastate the Lake Trout fisheries while only relying on Granby and Blue Mesa for the entire states Kokanee egg supplies.
Jake Bennit, a good friend and the local Biologist at the time that I was voluntarily helping complained that it would take 3 years of disease studies at WF before we could take eggs. I kept on him telling him if we didn't start that year it would take 4.
The head biologist at the time Pat Martinez, that had a very extreme hate for predators said we could only get kokanee eggs from huge Reservoirs and that it couldn't be done.
We gathered the 60 Kokanee for the disease tests for 3 years in the river up above the lake where they were naturally spawning.
I donated my Snowmobile trailer as a portable egg taking unit that we used at the inlet for multiple years until the division bought there own.
One time when someone sabotaged the screen one night we drug a seine from the culvert about a quarter mile down through the river to the bridge as we chased hundreds of Kokanee back below the trap.
During the drought of 04 when the Lake was down at low pool and No fish could make the run up the long muddy creek, we used my 16' lund with a long extension hitch to get on the lake and chased and netting them for egg takes.
The program had some successful years and helped the state with Kokanee egg supplies but since the the Gill lice has taken over it has had poor success.
During those years when the Kokanee populations were in danger without sufficient egg taking areas we were doing whatever we could to get eggs including netting on Shadow Mtn. the Pump Canal and at times even catching them on hook and line to gather them for egg takes.

Now, at Blue Mesa thankfully with the new employees at Roaring Judy screening off the River, doing a great job they have had multiple years of record egg takes.
The new technology with the Merwin traps at Wolford and Nighthorse has assured that we will never rely on only one basket for eggs anymore and the days of Kokanee egg taking shortages are over...

The consequences include the loss of the trophy Lake Trout fishery at Blue Mesa, slot at Granby, no limit statewide on Pike except at WF, lost fishing access at several areas and miscued mentality against Predators within the Division still follows.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for all your efforts up in your neck of the woods!

I wish our state could grasp the concept of "selective harvest" as they do with so many of the trout waters, and apply it better to our prized predator populations.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My II Cents

redleader

I have to tip my hat to you for your efforts to help our fisheries.
I have a hard time dealing with situations where its hard to get things changed.
I get tired of the effort with little or no results.

A tip of the hat to you again sir!!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'm not too familiar with Williams Fork. But, I'd hope the guides would release the big pike. From the guided trips I've seen at Spinney and the Mile...The preferred method of choice seems to be putting out six to eight rods off the back and sides of the boat and trolling a fifty yard wide path back and forth across the lake. Fishing that way...it seems like it wouldn't take long to remove the big fish from a lake if they aren't released.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Don't give em any ideas, Hobie!

·
P I K E
10,265 Posts
it's a replica...no ghost about it!!! As I thought RMO was your buddy there tl, what is your opinion of his worminess(is this a word?)? Curious minds want to know!!! ::)

41 - 60 of 71 Posts