Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
P I K E
10,245 Posts
Rocky Mountain Outfitters

Were you still expecting an answer, or did you just want to rub it in? :biggrin1:
The omission of explanation tells me what I expected! My money will never ever go that direction and I hope others find other alternatives instead of putting their money towards a business that lies and cheats to make a buck and tries to harm our resources!!! Maybe RMO should run for office and go to Washington!!! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Posted by Ramm From the other site;

If there is a pike lovers group in Colorado that would give CPW a good representation of the desire some of us have for pike fishing I would like to join. It hurts me to read Colorado Parks and Wildlife aquatic biologist Billy Atkinson estimate that it is costing $500 in stocked trout to raise a single, unwanted pike to 40 inches. It does not seem to me that Atkinson knows anything about how some us feel about a 40" pike if he is calling that fish unwanted. I say that was $500 well spent. Even people who dislike pike would be smiling big while posing for a picture with that fish should they be luck enough to catch it. If you have not read this article I will try to cut and pasted the link from Steamboat Today.[end quote]

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2014/jul/13/pike-predicament-how-fish-creates-thrills-anglers-/

When I last talked to Billy who manages Stagecoach I told him he was going about it backwards and if he wants less Pike overall he should leave the big Pike alone, he claimed he was going to start manual net removals and that there was too much spawning ground there.

I know it must drive them crazy that we have a model at WF of large Pike management that has worked great for 30 years but goes against their Jihad style statewide Pike management.

·
Registered
12 Posts

If there is a pike lovers group in Colorado that would give CPW a good representation of the desire some of us have for pike fishing I would like to join. It hurts me to read Colorado Parks and Wildlife aquatic biologist Billy Atkinson estimate that it is costing $500 in stocked trout to raise a single, unwanted pike to 40 inches. It does not seem to me that Atkinson knows anything about how some us feel about a 40" pike if he is calling that fish unwanted. I say that was $500 well spent. Even people who dislike pike would be smiling big while posing for a picture with that fish should they be luck enough to catch it. If you have not read this article I will try to cut and pasted the link from Steamboat Today.[end quote]

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2014/jul/13/pike-predicament-how-fish-creates-thrills-anglers-/

When I last talked to Billy who manages Stagecoach I told him he was going about it backwards and if he wants less Pike overall he should leave the big Pike alone, he claimed he was going to start manual net removals and that there was too much spawning ground there.

I know it must drive them crazy that we have a model at WF of large Pike management that has worked great for 30 years but goes against their Jihad style statewide Pike management.
That guy is a tool, I live at Stagecoach, and the Pike and Trout are doing fine. Why can't they leave well enough alone?:mad:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
It is time to Eliminate all guided fishing and hunting on our public lands.

To many people, not enough resource.

Guides are a paid for cheat. They typically do not teach worthy ethics or skills, they hide behind the talk but need the tip.

Sorry to folks like Bernie and Nate and such...But it is time. People should not profit from a community resource.

Fire away, I am solid on this. Guides go deeper, they go longer and they do more to harm the lay persons quality time afield than any bio or regulation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For those of you who know Rocky Mountain Outfitters, you know that take great pride in working and looking out for the health of our area fisheries. We are out to protect all fish and do our best to educate anglers in how to do this. I'm not sure where redleader gets the idea that we are out to kill big pike. We are well aware of fish populations in our area lakes.

If anyone has any questions or interested in hearing what we actually think feel free to call or email us anytime.

[email protected]
970-798-8021
I don't know RMO, but it does seem unfair to them to be bashing without actual proof that they said this. I agree that takings advice from an ANS inspector is foolish, because unless they are handing you written info from DOW it is just rumors and/or hearsay.

BUT, with that said, I do appreciated what Redleader has to say about Northern Pike. I have never understood the DOWs hatred of Pike, as they are Fantastic fish for sport and for the table. Disagree? Well, take a quick look online at our neighbors in Nebraska and Kansas; both states are managed very well, and they both protect their Northerns with appropriate size and bag limits. Thank you, Redleader, for your excellent points with regard to Northerns and how our DOW REALLY does not understand them.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Every year, pike are among the top three fish in Colorado for Master Angler awards. This is actual and factual data that is proof that Pike are NOT unwanted in our state.

I would like to see the actual and factual data that says it cost $500 in trout to raise a 40" Northern. Sounds to me like he's talking crap to enlist more haters of Northerns.

DOW needs to listen to what anglers in Colorado really want, and that is Walleyes, Trout AND Northern Pike (not in any order). I am not a trout fisherman, but I don't slam them just because they are not for me.

IMO, they should also start managing lakes for big panfish. They are a lot more fun to catch than stocker trout, especially when you are trying to recruit young anglers to the joy of fishing!

·
Registered
491 Posts
IMO, they should also start managing lakes for big panfish. They are a lot more fun to catch than stocker trout, especially when you are trying to recruit young anglers to the joy of fishing![/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. Some of the most fun fishing I've done here in Western Colorado was at Jerry Creek Res (outside Grand Juntion) going after some slab blue gills and bass. I mostly fish for trout with my fly rod but if more lakes were managed for big panfish rather than stocked C&R stockers it would make for a better diversity and fun.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts