Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to love icefishing Colorado high country. Yes, ice!! Cold weather! Arrived at the Fork with two fellow buddies, catfishking, and icefisher. My record for icing, was in 1990-something, -30 below. We froze our batoozies off, and if I remember, (brain and body freeze), we caught one kokanee. Good times!
Fast forward to 2011. -33 degrees. Will we survive? Should we do this? Hell, yeah!! We're here. We are icefisherman. ;D
Thank you for shanties and heaters. Altho it was so frickin cold at the crack, ..that it took my heater an hour, before it would even lite. And Chris's gas auger would not fire up. Hand auger good!
My revenge on this lake that kicked my a** a month ago after a skunk. Give it one more shot, I say.

This forum was built on fishing. Reports, conditions, technique. This is why I am here. A lot of long-time members forget this, and it is sad. I too, am guilty at times.
Off my soapbox! sorry.

Ice, 16-18 inches.
Depth we fished, 48-52 fow.
Lures used and most productive, white-glow tubes, buckshot spoons, kastys, .. a few on a red/white krocodile, and a couple, (to my amazement!!,) on a special chartruese/marabou jiggie thingie I hand-tied. But Brian landed them on it. Deadsticked worked,.. not. They wanted it moved. And moved. Most caught jigging off bottom, but a lot caught 6-8 feet off bottom, thank you MarCum!
I landed over 20, (mojo working, only because I had on my lucky hat.) Brian was over 10, and Chris, ?.. Well, let's just say,..he is so much fun to fish with.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice job Lake.My temp record is -27 at WF.No wait,-27 at the gas station.Time to have breakfast and wait for a balmy -10! before icing.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
that was by far the coldest i;ve ever ice fished when we left at 2 it was only 5 degrees it was nice fishing with you ed and chris heres a few pics

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you want cold just fish Taylor Reservoir as I have been there where my the temp bottomed out at -30 on the thermometer. I can guess it was about 40 below that day as you could not take you hand out of your gloves for more that a few seconds. The fish were frozen after one or two flops on the ice. Great fishing just very very cold especially in the shadow of the mountains. Had to use a auger extension that day as my auger bottomed out and no water.

Randy

·
Registered
499 Posts
da_yooper said:
If you want cold just fish Taylor Reservoir as I have been there where my the temp bottomed out at -30 on the thermometer. I can guess it was about 40 below that day as you could not take you hand out of your gloves for more that a few seconds. The fish were frozen after one or two flops on the ice. Great fishing just very very cold especially in the shadow of the mountains. Had to use a auger extension that day as my auger bottomed out and no water.

Randy
Typical for Taylor.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Our luck with the cold is that we had no wind. Otherwise, we probably would have never left the truck. It was weird that I only caught 2 all day. I was fishing alongside Ed and Brian all day and using the same stuff they were. I must have pissed off the fishing Gods somehow. Last year a go to lure for me was a black jig head with a Power crawdad tipped with a sm. piece of sucker. I only got one bite from that rig all day. I never tied up any spawn sacks, I'll give that a shot on the next trip. I did get my few fish and hits on a glow silver buck shot with sucker.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Man...-33? You guys are really die-hards, or a little crazy! :D

Awesome report!!

D.J.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great report. Probably not a lot of people up there with you. Glad you got into some fish. I've been to WF three times now and have zero fish to show for it. Thanks for sharing.

My coldest day, it was -56 on the bank in Frasier as I went to Grandby one morning. I was the only one on the lake until 2:00pm that day. I'm not as young as I used to be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You know somthing, as long as the bite is on and your landing fish on the ice it could be -50 and i would not mind! as long as i have a hut , heater and a thermos of coffee, i think you sometimes forget how cold it is Good job and good report!!! :) :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bigsquirm said:
You know somthing, as long as the bite is on and your landing fish on the ice it could be -50 and i would not mind! as long as i have a hut , heater and a thermos of coffee, i think you sometimes forget how cold it is Good job and good report!!! :) :D
I couldnt agree more
!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
73fisherman said:
Awsome report! My record is -63 in Saskatchewan Canada
Dude..no die-hard there. Just a little off the rocker.. :D

Wow...that's impressive!

D.J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts