Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
I've never fished Williams Fork, but I have heard that the better places are in the coves and inlets in the shallows, at least once the water warms up. I would bring a pretty wide selection of lures as pike are awfully finicky. Jointed rapalas in rainbow trout color, big spoons like daredevles, spinnerbaits, big spinners, especially in gold or black, big curly tail grubs, and a really deadly lure if the water is really clear is a 5" super fluke or bass assassin in a white color. Fish it with a 3/0 EWG hook. I would recommend against steel leader too, and try thick fluorocarbon instead. They can bite this off a little but not much. But you will get a lot more strikes in my opinion.
I may have to try to hit W Fork for some "pickies" this year. That name though says it all about pike. Tough fish, but so rewarding.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the information,i have yet to catch pike anywhere expect the arsenal, i want a big one from williams fork or elevenmile to mount

·
Banned
487 Posts
kokaneeking said:
thanks for the information,i have yet to catch pike anywhere expect the arsenal, i want a big one from williams fork or elevenmile to mount
Bottom line is they are tough and have plenty of food. Also they have been sadly reduced in a lot of lakes. I guess that's why I feel it's so important to release pike, keeping only a couple small ones for dinner.
With all this cold weather we've been having, I think I would wait until we have at least a solid week of steady temps in the 70s and 80s to warm the shallows more. And if you don't have any luck for pike, go out in the middle depths and try to jig up a few lakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts