Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I had hopes of fishing Gross Reservoir one more time today before the ice got unsafe because of the warm temperature we're having this week. The prediction of 70 mph winds at Gross today changed our minds. We decided to head to Williams Fork instead. The wind was blowing hard all the way to the tunnel, but once we reached the west side of the tunnel it was calm. We arrived at Williams Fork at about 7:00am and we found lots of snow. We parked at the east boat ramp and headed out onto the lake. The snow on the lake was firm in some areas and crusted in others in the morning and walking was tough but tolerable. As the day warmed up the snow on the ice got softer and slush became an issue. The snow and ice together were close to 3 feet thick and the auger was almost to the motor before we broke through. We set up in water that was 43 to 49 feet deep and we found lots of fish. We fished from 7:30am until 1:30pm and the fish finders almost always had fish on the screens. We fished the usual white tubes and tails and caught and released over 80 lake trout. We also kept 7 nice ones today so we could have a fish fry. Most of the fish were in the 14 to 18 inch range, but we did have about a dozen that were between 18 and 22 inches. The fish wanted the bait moving most of the time, but we did get quite a few dead stick hits early in the morning. We caught the majority of the fish right on the bottom. but we did get into some suspended fish today that were 12 to 15 feet off the bottom. The weather was great with clear to partly cloudy conditions and an occasional breeze. There was about a foot of snow on top of two feet plus of ice. There were only a handful of people fishing today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Nice, Ray! Jeff and I were there today (Sat), but didn't have the success you did. Heck, who does? ;D Anyway, we did manage over 10 apiece. We had fish marked on the bottom all day, sometimes the botton looked like a Christmas tree,..fish everywhere. Several suspended up to 8 feet from bottom, but not totally interested in us. Great weather day, slush not a prob 'til when we left (2PM). 24+ inches ice.
Love your "before" laker pics,...here's an "after" one, on one I kept.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mojo said:
great job, planning on going up tomorrow. Hoping to break my laker skunk this year. thanks for sharing
Good luck. I hope you are able to break the skunk.

lake1177 said:
Nice, Ray! Jeff and I were there today (Sat), but didn't have the success you did. Heck, who does? ;D Anyway, we did manage over 10 apiece. We had fish marked on the bottom all day, sometimes the botton looked like a Christmas tree,..fish everywhere. Several suspended up to 8 feet from bottom, but not totally interested in us. Great weather day, slush not a prob 'til when we left (2PM). 24+ inches ice.

Those are some good looking fillets Ed. I"m glad you and Jeff had a good day up there.

Jay said:
Nice man! You've caught a lot of lakers this year. Very nice year
[me=Jay] [/me]
two bulls said:
Nice catch! The fork can be fickle at times.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
53 Posts
lake1177 said:

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you were the ones who pulled us out Sat. thank you. Should have "stuck" around for a couple more hours as we got stuck again! :p

·
Registered
863 Posts
fishnbuddy said:
If you were the ones who pulled us out Sat. thank you. Should have "stuck" around for a couple more hours as we got stuck again! :p
Dirty laundry! FishnBuddy forgot to tell everyone she caught her first laker!

8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts