Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there access to the West and North ends of Williams Fork Res. if you drive around the south side of the lake and come up on the roads along that west side.  My map shows a road that goes nearly all the way to top of the dam over there.  Is that public?  Open in winter?  Anyone fish over there?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The road your speaking of connects to Hwy 9 just before Kremmling. There is a gate that I've always seen closed right at the fork that keeps you from heading towards the dam. Fishing is not to bad right there caught a few bo's in there close to shore

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know you can come in from Parshall and follow the road around the lake until you get to the south west side.  As you head towards the dam you do run into a locked gate like Co.Trout said.  There are a couple of places there you can get down to the lake, but they are a little bit steep.  A heavy sled makes for a real workout getting out of there.  Your still about a mile from the dam though.  I have caught a few small lakers there but I don't know if its worth the climb.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably just stick to coming in at the boat ramp, then. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's the easiest access to the lake, Cutt, it's where I go in at and you don't have to get far out to get fish. I haven't failed to catch my limit there in almost three years, but I do want to take the atv up and venture a little farther out and try to find some better quality fish. The usual that I catch is 18-22", I've hooked one really good one(well over 10lbs) but lost him at the hole, then I bought a gaffe. There are several places that I want to try through the ice. that I checked out with the boat this summer, but they are a long hike so I'll take the atv up.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I failed once last year - 6 fish between my wife and I wasn't half bad, though. We went in at the boat ramp, slogged through 15" of fresh powder about 1/2 mile onto the lake, near where Johnny0 had caught his big mack there last year. It was about as far as I was willing to go in that snow!!!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i think that there are signs ther prohibiting atv or sled use on the lake, at least there were signs that said that last year..

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw those signs last year, too. I'm on foot, and my only sled is the one I pull behind me. The signs don't seem to stop people from using snowmobiles and atv's there, and elsewhere on this sight, someone implied that the rule is not really enforced.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm with you Jamie, of course, it really doesn't matter because I don't have a snow machine or atv.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i do have an atv and i'd hate to lose it to some stupid regulation,you never know what they can do. i'll just stick to places i know i can use it. i have never had really good luck at williams fork anyway,water is usually pretty murky and i like to be able to sight fish.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just at williams fork friday there are signs posted No motorized vehicles on ice Also dont park on the dike on the west end didnt realize it was a dike and got a nice little note from Denver water board about it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I read someone said on here they got a gaff. Don't gaff those lakers unless you are going to keep them! Does anyone get into the pike at williams fork during the winter? Does anyone even try for them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts