Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every once in awhile i come back from a fishing trip scratching my head and various other parts of my anatomy, today was such a day. my fishing partner and i spent eleven hours at williams fork resevoir today catching a total of two fish.it seemed like the fish just up and flew away . nothing on the fish finder but a blank screen. we coverer the entire lake shallow deep and in between. oh well ice fishing season is only six months away.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Re: where are all the fish?

Wow.... What a report.. Sounds like it was a tough day. Strange how they dissapear like that. I've had that happen on my sonar before too. One day you'll see a few pop up every now and then and the next..... It's like you aint even got the thing turned on... And the fish will act accordingly.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yeah i thought the finder was broke but then nobody else seemed to be catching anything. youknow those long blank stares you get on days like that.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

lurp said:
youknow those long blank stares you get on days like that.
Yep..... Rings a bell.

·
Registered
391 Posts

I've had the same luck at Williams fork.The reports say the fishing is hot so i'llget there at sunrise and fish all day and be lucky to get two.I almost never go there because i've had too many days at Williams Fork like that.The only draw to that lake for me is a monster pike or brown,and i think those are few and far between!You should have stopped off at Willow Creek for a hour and i would almost bet you could have ended the day on a good note. lyn

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

we thought about going to green mnt cause that would have put us that much closer to home butjust about then we caught fish number two and thought it was going to get better.ive actually have had some awesome days there but they were on the ice, verry few good days on open water. your right the report i got was fishing was great thought we must of been doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts

lurp said:
every once in awhile i come back from a fishing trip scratching my head and various other parts of my anatomy, today was such a day. my fishing partner and i spent eleven hours at williams fork resevoir today catching a total of two fish.it seemed like the fish just up and flew away . nothing on the fish finder but a blank screen. we coverer the entire lake shallow deep and in between. oh well ice fishing season is only six months away.
I've had days like that, nothing on the fish finder but the bottom.  On one occasion we were actually catching fish though, so I knew the were fish there.  Turns out I had the sensitivity on my sonar set to low.  Now any time I don't mark at least a few fish, I check to see if its a sonar problem.

(btw, another day I thought the north boat cove at chatfield was just full of fish!  all depths from the bottom to the surface,  after about 20 minutes i figured out that "someone" had put the sonar in simulation mode!)

Dan

·
Banned
487 Posts
Of course they claim the fishing is hot right now at W. Fork, probably without even checking it out. The CDOW reports are worthless and I think they just manipulate them to bring people to the areas so they can get more money.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the report actually came from some little old lady at the fishing store in kremling. little old ladies dont lie do they?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
They do if they have a store full of stuff to sell. ;D The one that really gets me is the 11-Mile general store-that lake can be moody and really run hot and cold but if you listen to them the fish are always practically jumping into your boat. I take whatever they say with a gain of salt. Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
I actually find comfort and solice in your skunk day- it just happened to me about 5 weeks ago- its somewhat nice to know it happens to other people

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive got to believe it happens to more people than are willing to admit it. im glad you find comfort in my misery at least the day wasnt a total loss.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fished the fork Sun. afternoon and Mon. morning. It was nice weather when we arrived about 11:00 a.m. to set up camp. Started fishing around 1:00 in the fingers for pike...was marking some good fish about 20 ft deep in the West boat ramp bay so we trolled with rapalas, arnies, taz devils....nothing. Then the storm rolled in and that was that...rain a little hail...got out just before dark for about an hour and fished the fingers for pike again nothing...just started raining again...on and off all night. Started fishing at 6:00 a.m the next morning same story...we fished everywhere with everything...nothing..not even a bite. It started to rain again about 11:00 so we packed up and left.
I did have one 36" + pike follow a clown colored rapala all the way to the boat but just bumped the lure and took off. We camped in the finger just south of the boat ramp bay on the west side. A lot of people shore fishing w/ bait.... did not see one person catch a fish the whole trip...shore or boat. We talked w/ one guy in our bay who said he caught a 30" pike on a worm real early in the morning and that a guy two camps down had caught a big pike that same morning on a sucker at like 3:30 in the morning...crazy.

I have learned my lesson and am not going to completely listen to the DOW reports anymore..they suck...I don't know who they get these reports from but that was not "hot" fishing..."Hot" fishing is when you can catch fish even if you don't know what your doing...at least when you go to 11-mile you see at least a couple people catch fish. I am done w/ the fork for awhile .....I have been three time and have still not had a bite...my wife has caught only one 24" pike and that was her only bite. I know there are lots of fish in there and we saw lots of good marks but they just weren't hungry and I don't like to bait fish 24 hours a day just to catch a fish....I have done that in the past but find that boring now.

Live and learn I guess.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Both boat ramps are useable and the docks are in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts