Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody fish williams fork this week. i found a post from the 8th i was just wondering about ice thickness and maybe choice of bait. thanks  8)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'll be there Saturday. Basic bait for Macs (Tubes And Suckermeat) Basic trout baits (micro tubes& waxies) Pike bait( waterdogs or Freshly killed suckers & big Jigging spoons. Maybe I'll see you there,
Dan

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I have to disagree with Dan just a little. A 1/4 oz. kasty works wonders on the pike. I think it's easier to fool the wary ones with small stuff than the big stuff that they see all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice guys. i think we will be heading up there sat. also so maybe we will run into each other dan.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
slayer hit it right. I catch most of my pike jigging with perch or trout lures, depending on what is in the lake. Pike love ratsos! If you want multi-species, I bet a 1/4 oz buckshot rattlespoon would fill the bill better than anything. Lakers, trout, and pike all love them. However, suckers or the like under tipups for pike are the best.
Good luck.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was out there last Wednesday. Boy was it cold! Moved around quite a bit with the vex in search of fish but they were very hard to find. They were for me anyway. Fished in 45 FOW to the southwest of the boat ramp and caught 5 macks. The two largest were 18". Tried at least 6 other places within walking distance and could not even mark a fish. Went as far south as the outhouse in the east campground. The fish I caught took koke sacks. Ice was 15" and noisy. Water fluctuation I guess.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Everybody fishes the deep water,the best chance for multiple species is at the inlet end.I've caught lakers in 9 FOW.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i hit it on saturday nad was nailin macks in about 60-70 fow my biggest one was about 22". me and my buddy caught 5 a piece.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Everybody fishes the deep water,the best chance for multiple species is at the inlet end.I've caught lakers in 9 FOW.
Slayer, which end is that?

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Where the river comes in,REG! South end,there are 2 access points,1 right along the river,the other on the west side by the snagging cliffs.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just to get my bearings set, the dam is on the NW end, correct? haven't hit the Fork yet this year, I guess all that walking I did last year took it's toll.

·
Registered
217 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
Just to get my bearings set, the dam is on the NW end, correct?  haven't hit the Fork yet this year, I guess all that walking I did last year took it's toll.
So that means you were going down to the inlet last year?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fished on 1-17 at the fork in 70-100 feet of water. Iced four macs by nine than slowed nothing under 20in lost a couple faty's couldent get them therw the hole!! lots of fun .

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Reg said:
So that means you were going down to the inlet last year?
Not really that far. We fished by the cliffs on the east side. there was a fence on top of the cliff, and an outhouse alittle further down. There's a big white house & a wind mill up there too, but i never quite made it that far South.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts