Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a late start on 2/2, started fishing about 10:30. Started in the inlet just south of the windmill, never found water deeper than 15 feet, had a couple of drive by strikes but nothing on the ice by 1:00. Moved over by the west boat ramp, had some luck there in Dec., fished in water from 6' to 35'. Couple of strikes in the deep water and one big strike on a 4" sucker minow in 6' of water. 12" of snow on 3" of slush w/ plenty of ice under that. water is very clear could see quite aways w/ the camera but didn't see much for fish. Was one other guy on the ice but didn't get to talk to him to see if he was having any luck. Weather was pretty bad in the afternoon but we stuck it out till 3:30. Very disappointed but I'm not ready to give up on WF just yet.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
Bummer,dude-but that's fishing! ;D It's starting to get into the winter doldrums now and the fishing is usually slower. If it was me I would have tried straight across towards the point by the snagging bluffs.Who knows-

·
Registered
935 Posts
Fish can sometimes be found deeper as you get into the depths of winter. For Macks, I find myself fishing successfully in 30-70 feet of water during February.

B

·
0 Posts
I have been fishing Williams Fork Res for about five years now and I have seen a steady decline in the number of bites. The size of the fish are great, I haven't caught anything less 16 inches. However I have crossed this lake off of the lakes I try to hit every year due to the pike have eaten must of the fish in this lake. Has anybody else been experiencing this decline too? >:D

·
Registered
904 Posts
No,
Not even close. Its still a great lake to fish. The water level has changed a lot over the last 4-5 years. You just have to find where they moved to. I do great almost every time I hit the Fork.
Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
WF is an awesome lake...it's like 11 Mile, you do or you don't. When you do, you're like Holy Sh*&%, didn't think there was this kinda fishin' in CO, when you don't you're like Holy Sh*&%, there's nuthin in this F----- lake...keep tryin, you do more than you don't...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Brian3550 said:
I have been fishing Williams Fork Res for about five years now and I have seen a steady decline in the number of bites.  The size of the fish are great, I haven't caught anything less 16 inches.  However I have crossed this lake off of the lakes I try to hit every year due to the pike have eaten must of the fish in this lake.  Has anybody else been experiencing this decline too? >:D
I don't fish williams fork, but that's a bunch of anti-pike misinformation you've been fed. If the pike had eaten most of the fish in the lake, they would have horrible body condition. It seems to me if a 43.5" pike weighed 30 pounds 6 oz (our state record) that is absolutely superb body condition. I have also heard most of the pike in the fork are obese. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
Hey TFB- you oughta try the Fork 'cause you like them pikey's. I dont fish it a lot,maybe twice on the ice per year but almost every time I get absolutely hammered by something big. There isnt much pressure up there in the winter. Doesnt look like I'm gonna make it to Crawford this year again,have too many trips to Wyo. planned this spring. One of these days-

B

·
0 Posts
There are much better lakes within 30 miles of the fork. I am not tellin my kids to stand on a shore line and "suck-it-up" to get one bite in day. ;D

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
Brian3550 said:
There are much better lakes within 30 miles of the fork.  I am not tellin my kids to stand on a shore line and "suck-it-up" to get one bite in day. ;D
Good, go there- I like the fact that mostly hardcore real fisherman fish the Fork 'cause then I dont hafta listen to crybaby's who crave quantity over quality! Later-

M

·
0 Posts
haha...oh my goodness

anyway, i have driven past WF but never fished it, perhaps its worth it, no idiots?

im not a big ice fan..but how thick is it? i have a strikemaster and i drilled through 2 ft at 11mile...any deeper i might be introuble?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Brian3550 said:
There are much better lakes within 30 miles of the fork. I am not tellin my kids to stand on a shore line and "suck-it-up" to get one bite in day. ;D
Good, go there- I like the fact that mostly hardcore real fisherman fish the Fork 'cause then I dont hafta listen to crybaby's who crave quantity over quality! Later-
;D I like pike fishin'. It might take me a whole day to get one or two fish but there is a very high chance at least one of those will be over 10 pounds. Worth it to me :)
slayer- I'm going to hit williams fork sometime. Maybe not this year though. Next year hopefully?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts