Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a local Colorado bait shop and saw a sign for willow cats also sold them by the bucket with a few day notice. I have viewed other web post about using them along rivers and remember one post mentioning about not using them in a reservoir for walleye. Can anyone give me some reasons why not use them in our local Colorado & Wyoming Res where legal for Walleye.

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
In wyo, there are 5 distinct drainage areas. You must buy minnows from the drainage you are going to fish. The boys will come down HARD on you if you screw around. AS far as colo,I dont see why not.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Question:

willow cats = channel cats (?) right?

Thanks,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1eye,

maybe to catch them.

Willow cats get about max 5". Alot of walleye guys use them on rivers on the mississippi and other rivers. Just trying to find out if anyone uses them out here.

JT

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Willow cats are not channel cats, even though some aquarium enthusiasts do refer to baby channel cats as willow cats. A more common name for these little catfish is madtom. They look like a small bullhead about 3" long or a little more but they never get very big. They are the midgets of the catfish family.

They are popular for walleye bait because they stay on the hook better, and live longer, than regular minnows. Tough little fish.

Their dorsal and pectoral spines carry a poison that can make your hand hurt for several hours if they stick you.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ah, I see.. Googled them cats and found only pictures and a site (I forget which) that referred to channel cats as willow cats in the 'other common names' category. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts