Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed to get on the ice so a friend & I decided on Willow Creek. Pulled in to the lake around 7:30 & temp was 20 below. Saw some guys fishing the east side near the ramp, but we drove up to the 2nd lot past the campground and tried the middle portion. One other car in the lot & they were walking towards to back bay on the West end....never heard how they did. We drilled 4 holes...no electronics being used....and it appeared to be 12-15 fow. Fish were biting about 8 feet down using small, pink berkely tube jigs tipped with red mealies. I caught 14 in about 3 1/2 hours and my buddie pulled in 7. biggest was 14, but most were right at 12 1/2 or 13. Nice pink meat though...fun but cold! Also...took a look at granby and it's almost ready...saw a few guys of Sunset point but didn't talk to anybody about ice depth. Tightlines 8)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That was me and my bro inlaw, we hiked all the way back to the inlet and with the wind blowing in our faces was fun, it would have been warm to nuzzle in a witches tit. We went back to look for browns but only found bows, slightly bigger then the ones in the areas near the parking lots. Didn't find any browns though, fished for about an hour and a half out from the second lot and landed a few more. About a 20 fish day with a few for dinner for tonight.

The Angry Angler, you seem pretty mellow considering your handle on here.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah we took off around Noon....saw another dude out there with his lady...they set up about 150 yards west of us but only stayed 15 minutes...hmm. I was also thinking about hitting Terryall...I really just wanted to ice some fish...it's always nice to have a chance at something over 20 inches, but I knew that wasn't necessarily going to happen at WC. We had a good time though...first fish of the year :) And yeah bro...I'm not angry at all...that's the name of a publishing business I used to own...my lawyer named it and for some reason the name stuck...easy to remember, no? Zman said something similar a while back lol. Nice talking to you & your bro in law...glad you had some success back there...it's a helluva walk!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I was there also on 12/31 pretty little lake only fished for 45 min but had to roll do to five 9-10 year old boys with cold feet,, That or they just wanted to get back to the cabin to sled :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bruce Gillis said:
Oh yeah, ran into Goon out there. Turns out he ain't that much of a turd in person. HAHAHA
but I'm still a turd. >:D >:D

I was too lazy to hike back to the inlet area, and I didn't find chit back in the deeper areas. the boat ramp was the only place that produced... i'll be back there in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My bro and I went out on the 30th and marked a ton of fish off the 2nd parking lot in aywhere from 25-34 fow, but only caught a few. Guess they weren't hungry that day! How long does it take to walk back to the inlet? Never fished back there before. Also, can you take snow mobiles on the lake? I know we had a ranger come check our licenses on a snow mobile, but didn't know if they were allowed for anyone. That was the first time I've had my license checked while ice fishing.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The walk back to the inlet took us about 20 minutes. The action was non stop back there, at the most 15-20 minutes between hits. When I was out there on the 27th I saw a few snowmobiles and we were also checked right before sunset by the ranger. I'm assumimg it's ok to have them out there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was out there those days. Did anybody see the dude with the parachute? Sleds are allowed there. I never got checked by the ranger though.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I saw that dude, he kept trying to get it going with no wind,lol. If he wanted to ski around I would have drove his machine and pulled his ass around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you think it's worth the hike to go back towards the inlet or is it going to be about the same results as by the boat ramp or 2nd lot? You know that whole risk reward thing!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'd do it again. The action was a lot better back there, size was sightly bigger back there also. It's only 20-25 minute walk for us and I'm a fat arse. Only thing that sucked about the walk was the wind was coming in at us and it was negative 17,burrrr. Just a guess but I thnk the browns are back near the inlet and whatever fish is back there doesn't see the pressure as the ones up closer do. I didn't see anyone go back there all day or any old holes, there was only snowmobile tracks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like a go. Just have to see if my dad is going along with my brothers and I. Don't know if he'd make the walk back there. Gonna head up probably Saturday. We usually have luck up there using ratfinkies tipped with meal worms. You think it would be the same or recommend anything else?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bruce Gillis said:
I'd do it again. The action was a lot better back there, size was sightly bigger back there also. It's only 20-25 minute walk for us and I'm a fat arse. Only thing that sucked about the walk was the wind was coming in at us and it was negative 17,burrrr. Just a guess but I thnk the browns are back near the inlet and whatever fish is back there doesn't see the pressure as the ones up closer do. I didn't see anyone go back there all day or any old holes, there was only snowmobile tracks.
I had awesome luck in the inlet area this fall throwing x raps. next time for sure, I'll be hiking back there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't fished it from my boat in a few years, but the kokes were stacked up in that thin portion that leads back to the inlet....weren't too hard to catch either. They were also in the little bay by the 2nd lot. All in all, I think the inlet area gets much less pressure. I've done well trolling back there on the south side. I'd have given it a shot if it wasn't so darn cold last Sunday...20 below!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts