Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at backpacking destinations for next year. I really want to go to the Wind River Range in WYO.

Never caught a Golden trout and I would like to catch a good size one rather that go to the Colorado spot I know for a 10 inch golden.

Not asking for anyone to publicly give away their favorite spots, but if anyone has advice and wants to PM me I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
The Golden lakes above Alpine have large specimens. Its like a 27 mile (no lie) hike 1-way. We tried to get there didn't make it. But we found a lake with 6 lb cut bows!

Also Saddlebags above Windy. Its all public knowledge so I aint giving up any secrets. This is only an 11-mile hike 1-way.

Google and you tube the crap out of it and you'll find where every golden lake is up there.

The good lakes are all 10-20 miles back so I don't think naming them will cause a crowd of Howdeees!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The good lakes are all 10-20 miles back so I don't think naming them will cause a crowd of Howdeees!
Sounds like my kind of place. I am willing to do around 30 miles over 5 days. This is all assuming I can convince my wife to set me loose for that long...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not easy. Go while you're young!
I am 31 and hoping to have at least another 40 years of backpacking left in me. Last pack trip with my Grandpa in the Flattops I think he was around 75 and still going strong. A few years later he switched from hiking to horseback and still got out there.

He went on his last elk hunting trip at 87 years old. Passed away two years later.

Point is I think the drive for adventure can keep help keep you young.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sounds like a adventure!

Point is I think the drive for adventure can keep help keep you young.
True, but the drive itself can diminish with time. When you have done great things in life, you get to a point where you think to yourself, it's all "meh," and dreaming about it is better than actually doing it. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts