Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a site that shows wind speed and gusts for past days? Id like to see how hard the wind was blowing when we were out on Sunday?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I use www.noaa.gov for my weather forecasts - and history. I believe everyone else factors in what NOAA thinks, they do the marine channel stuff as well. All the forecasters get forecasts wrong regularly, NOAA included.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WoW, Looks like the winds were 30-35 when we were out there.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
I use www.weatherunderground.com for looking at personal weatherstations and hourly forecasts which include wind. When planning a trip, I've found it just as accurate as anywhere/anyone else.

Sunday was forecast to have 30 mph winds by 2pm. That was off by 2 hours or so in reality. 

·
Registered
297 Posts
How'd the boat do in the wind Jay? I was out on Pueblo five years ago when we had SUSTAINED winds of over 60 mph and gust around 80. It was a rough ride back to the marina that day!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fishhunter said:
How'd the boat do in the wind Jay? I was out on Pueblo five years ago when we had SUSTAINED winds of over 60 mph and gust around 80.  It was a rough ride back to the marina that day!

The boat did great but we ran into a dead starting battery and was dead in the water. Had to use the kicker to get back to shore; even though it was the wrong shore. Couldnt get the kicker to go into the wind. What a mess the bottom of my boat is.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Jay, for about $35 at Walmart you can get one of those portable jump start boxes. I keep one with me just in case. Just be sure you keep it charged and check it at least once every three months. It also has a power outlet and I've rigged it so I can use my fish finder through the ice with it as the power supply in the winter. It has saved me a few times - just remember that if you're jump starting your car, and it has automatic door locks, the doors can lock (and shut) after you start the car and get out to put the hood back down...not that it has ever happened to me. ::)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts