Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have to say, trying to get a new system on the network here and it is sooo stupid !! Also, the lack of oe as a simple mail program. For home users it may be fine, but in a mixed network environment it does not play well.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
7 was way overrated. I dislike Vista, but once you get to know it...it's really pretty easy (especially to fix system problems way down deep inside). I hear Linux is good (never used it personally)? At least that's what the guy told me who was going to start a computer repair business with me. Then there is always the superior Mac system...but it's so expensive.

D.J.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
§uper Off Topic Guy said:
i think windows 7 is easier once you get used to it. Different than XP and others by far. At least you don't have Vista. Vista blew.
I would not allow vista on the network here, we still run win2k systems and they are just fine, XP is finally ok after 3 service packs, but 7 is just a windows version of mac. another stolen os by bill and crew

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
i think windows 7 is easier once you get used to it. Different than XP and others by far. At least you don't have Vista. Vista blew.
I would not allow vista on the network here, we still run win2k systems and they are just fine, XP is finally ok after 3 service packs, but 7 is just a windows version of mac. another stolen os by bill and crew
:D :D :D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love my UNIX system, users can't screw it up because they can't remember the commands to do so. Give a user a mouse and they will screw everything up.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cochise said:
Good to see you back in at least one spot Geek...I was thinking you were gone for good.
Close to it, I thought I died. I am not out of the woods yet, but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel, (Probably a train or solar flare though)

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I love my UNIX system, users can't screw it up because they can't remember the commands to do so. Give a user a mouse and they will screw everything up.
Give an admin a mouse and he'll quit learning anything....

I am always harping on the admins that they think with their mouse too much.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Koldkut said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:

So esp or Keyboard shortcuts/commands?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Koldkut said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:

Command line, your best admins are the ones who can administer their network from command line. Windows Powershell, if you have not tried it out Geek, is Microsofts answer to the functionality that UNIX has had for 30 years, but it's on crack!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Koldkut said:
Koldkut said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:

Command line, your best admins are the ones who can administer their network from command line. Windows Powershell, if you have not tried it out Geek, is Microsofts answer to the functionality that UNIX has had for 30 years, but it's on crack!
I prefer to work from the command line, the crap ms has tried to push out lately is a joke. The entire tech world is going soft, anyone here ever program a DSL modem with CBOS ? Everything now is plug and pray, I see no real troubleshooting skills, just format and re-install instead of fixing problems.

cd..
deltree

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Most of the tech world has gone soft.....folks with skillz are alright, but I keep getting pissed when folks won't learn anything about stuff they can't click on.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
su
cd /
rm -fr *

>:D
You're a bad man.....

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
su
cd /
rm -fr *

>:D
Nice, but what happens when it tries to remove bin/rm?

I have a cheap PC that came with Vista and it was as slow as a dog. I put Linux on it and it is a screamer! The kids don't seem to mind, they use OpenOffice now and just go to the web for games anyway. My virus/malware problems have vanished as well... Linux has also come a long way since the days of "Slackware", the installation was a piece of cake...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts