Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very few people know much about the Windwalker Ranch and Lake Catamount (including myself). This trophy section of river is the tailwater out of Catamount Reservoir visible on highway 40 coming down rabbit ears pass into steamboat. It's a private lake as is that section of River. However, what I hear about it really makes me want to find a way on! The lake itself produces trophy northerns of 40" and larger. In the tail water, trout average 17-22" with several 30's cruising around. I know that the buckingrainbow fly shop in Steamboat has access to both the lake and the river but it certainly cost money. If anyone has any information about ranchers who sell fishing permits on the lake or river, I'd certainly like to give it a shot sometime. Anyway, I hope we can get a flow of information going about this private part of the Yampa via emails and posts.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have heard about it. I heard you couldn't fish the reservoir (which is catamount) or the river just below it?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea wich is just what I said....what Im saying is there is always away....and if the fly shops have access surely someone else does aswell. What I want to know is who.

T

·
0 Posts
i did a little research on the lake and river last year - working some regional locals i met up there.  i found out that only using a guide that has a relationship with the ranch can gain access - or family/friend of ranch ownership.  anyone out there related or a friend?  ;D
buckingrainbow and steamboat fishing co. - all outfitters/guides in steamboat offer trips there.  so a guide fee of $350 for two people + 20% gratuity AND a private rod fee of $135 each person.  so yep its pricy, but perhaps a worth while one time experience?  reports are that it fishes very well most days commensurate of the season.

http://www.buckingrainbow.com/cata.htm

can't find the link to steamboat fishing co. but i imagine its similar.

i figure getting slayerfish or fishingguitars to guide for a day considering their success should be a lot less......... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts