Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try something different on my last free weekend before my daughter's soccer starts up, so picked Ballaire. I knew it was a hike in, but it literally is uphill both ways. With the cold and wind, I thought it would be smart to bring the fishtrap....bad idea...

Finally got to the lake after realizing how out of shape I am and went across to the other side. Had to anchor the trap down before even setting it up just to drill my holes because it was getting blown around so much. Got 2 drilled and set up the shelter. Ice was about 10 inches or so. For the next hour, I fought to stay in one place and not get tipped over, even anchored down. Did manage one fish during that time, and saw a bunch on the vex. When I later left, both ice anchors had been bent about 90 degrees.

Finally took down the shelter and fished in the open. Better. Though it was cold and windy, I wasn't fighting the shelter the whole time and caught another 5 during the next hour before saying I had enough. Fish were caught on pink gulp alive waxie on a red jig. All were 12 or so inches/bows. All came up in the water column. I was 13 feet deep, but most of the fish I saw all day were between 5 and 10 feet. A few others showed up while I was there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fished up there a couple weeks ago...landed about 75 fish in 4 hours with 5 of us fishing (3 of them had never been on a frozen lake...out from southern Mississippi). That place is a great fishing hole...I will try to post a couple of pics someday.

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts