Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished a box of wine last week and took out the bag inside the box thinking I could maybe use it for something and thought I would use it to make some ice for the cooler. Just use a wide blade screwdriver to pry out the black spigot and fill it (almost full, allow a little room for expansion) pop the spigot back in and open the spigot to let out air and close. Place it flat on a shelf in the freezer (your wife's approval of rearranging things in freezer to accommodate this may vary). Makes a real good slab of ice that fits really nice in the bottom of an average sized cooler and won't leave water in your cooler after it melts. A couple of them would be even better....

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Excellent! I'm always making ice for the "Cooler O Death"!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
That sounds like a pretty good idea. I usually just freeze water bottles, but I'd give this a try as well. Only trouble is I don't drink wine.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bman, shouldn't be too hard to find a couple of people to help you empty a few of them, it is for a good cause after all :)....I've used bottles too but the bags can lay nice and flat or on the sides of the cooler. Just measured the one I have in the freezer and measures about 9x12x2. Not bad for 3 quarts of block ice.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Well now's a good time to start!

It would be cheaper to just fill some gallon ziplock bags with water, lay them on their side, and put it in the freezer.

I would have thought that the King of Cheap would have thought of that...... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right Bman...Freezer bags would work great too....Just thought if you finished off one of those box wines it would be a good way to put it to use and they measure twice as thick as freezer bags so they can handle some abuse. Add some salt to the water, they say it lowers the freezing temp and it lasts a little longer. Keeping my cooler cold is a small issue, putting a cold cooler to use with eyes is a bigger issue for me...

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
King Soopers has gallon jugs of Arrowhead water with screw tops...they arent like the gallon milk jugs...they are really heavy duty plastic several times thicker than regular plastic water bottles...I have 6 I think they are on their 5th season...I rotate 3 in and out of the garage freezer...they dont seem to leak...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts