Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum folk.
Im new to the state and new to the board, a so cal bass angler transplant and I need help...Moved to Lakewood 2 months ago, and was doing really good on the local ponds, having a blast, got some pretty descent fish, but..
Now that Winter is here it seems like all the bass are gone???
Ive tried small, smaller, smallest, big, cranks, jerks, worms, jigs, slow, really slow and even slower. I know bass slow down in winter but this is ridiculous..
Any advice from people in the know, would be appreciated, or do I fly fish until spring????
Thanks

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Drop shot or shakey head. You're probably doing it right, its just a real tough
bite here in the winter for bass.

Or head south-thats what I do.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I catch them through the ice. Usually find them where a point meets the basin of the lake/pond, around 10-25'. They like smaller baits usually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got 2 dinks today before the front comes in. Using a 1 1/2" green/blue craw and inserted a 1/16 tungsten nail weight..... 8# line on a roboworm re-barb hook. Super slow fall, dragged reallllllllyyyyy slow and just a slight tick on the line..then slight pressure bite, that was it.
So not all of the Bass have left for Mexico just yet. LOL
BTW thanks for the help, I really appreciate it..

·
Registered
676 Posts
Use your fly rod. I caught 7 or 8 a few weeks ago. Nothing big but a few were 15-16". Late morning and mid afternoon were best. I used a chartreuse jig fly, with a slow strip and drop retrieve. I fish all methods and the fly rod out fishes anything for late winter/early spring and late fall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Use your fly rod. I caught 7 or 8 a few weeks ago. Nothing big but a few were 15-16". Late morning and mid afternoon were best. I used a chartreuse jig fly, with a slow strip and drop retrieve. I fish all methods and the fly rod out fishes anything for late winter/early spring and late fall.
Thanks for the 411, Ill give that a go after the weather lightens up next week..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts