Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that bass will slow down a great deal during the winter. Is there any chance of catching bass in ponds with the kind of whether we have in COL? Ive read a bit on the web about using jig-and-pig, slow-cranked spinnerbaits, senkos during the colder temps of winter...are these techniques transferable to bass ponds?

Pondfisher

D

·
0 Posts
Yes. I have caught bass in winter on jig-n-pigs. That's my favorite cold water technique. I've never had much luck with plastics in really cold water.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This weekend i fished the ponds and got nothing...I did get a look from a little bass but it decided to not bite. Is there a temp when fishing bass in ponds is totally futile???

D

·
0 Posts
Pondfisher said:
Is there a temp when fishing bass in ponds is totally futile???
I don't think so. When I was a kid in Kansas we fished some ponds pretty much all winter with minnows.

F

·
0 Posts
believe it or not smallmouths tight lip up before largemouths do....in different parts of the country largemouths are caught ice fishing from time to time...but smallmouths however are very rarely caught thru the ice.

·
Registered
664 Posts
fish have to eat, no matter how cold the water is. It's just a matter of figuring out what they want and how to present it.

There are books out there that will relate fish moods and patterns to water temperature which may be helpful with winter bass. Another thing is that small ponds may really warm up on a sunny winter day which could trigger a feeding spree.

I think fishing for warmwater species in the winter is tough which is why I just go snowboarding instead.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
I caught a 15" smally in Lake Loveland while ice fishing for perch last winter.He took a live minnow. I
've also caught a few fishing cherry creek res.

I

·
0 Posts
Pondfisher give Ward road pond a try, Last year at this time, actually it was one week later than now and it was snowing and half the lake was ice, i caught 10 to 15 Nice largees. I was amazed. But i was using a slow tub jig, Black and it worked

·
Registered
797 Posts
I caught them off and on until about December 1st last year. Got one small one last week and went twice since then and got the skunk. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I fish open water for bass right thru the winter. Mostly its the J&P and jerks on ponds and small lakes and vertical spooning them on Pueblo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. For some reason Im not ready to give up on Bass yet....

Pondfisher

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've caught some smallmouth and largemouth through the ice at juniata and purdy mesa reservoirs when it was legal. The smallmouth bit well in juniata and the largemouth well in purdy. I bet it would be even better in a pond that is open water.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I saw a comment that above that I think we should all keep in mind, fish have to eat. However, the way in which they eat is completely differant then most bassfisherman are used to. Finding exactly where fish are located is probably the most important factor in catching bass in the winter. When you think you've located some fish, you pretty much have to put the fly or whatever right infront of their nose. They will not give chase to anything. Having said that, expect very soft takes. In a near by lake I will drag a crayfish pattern on a sinktip very slowly behind a bellyboat on the first drop off from the dam. I will work parralel to the dam unitl I get a hit. I then stick in that same spot and give very slow dragging type retrieves with the line. Very slow methodical fishing and not very exciting. I guess you'll just have to decide if its worth it. 9 out of 10 times I decide its not and go trouting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts