Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With metro ice on the way out, I have been doing quite a bit of research on winter carp fishing and I thought I would share some of the more ubiquitous points of interest from our fishing brethren across the pond.

1) Fish during the warmest part of the day (12-3)

2) Fish the shallows (carp in winter tend to stay shallow, feeding on whatever they can without exhausting too much energy)

3) Use half-sized baits (if using bread or boilies)

4) Try maggots or wax worms (often times the subtle motion of a wiggling wax worm will bring a complacent carp into your area)

5) If using boilies or other home-made baits, avoid oily ones (in summer, oily baits attract fish due to scent dispersion, whereas in winter, with colder waters, the oils have a tendency to coagulate and become unattractive to fish)

6) Cut down on "freebies"... When using a pack bait in the summer, the breaking-down of pack bait is positive because it brings fish into your location, whets their appetite, and exposes them to your primary bait. In winter, due to the slowed metabolism, the fish may eat the dissolved pack bait material and move on, leaving your primary bait untouched.

7) Plain white bread balls work wonders because they "flake" off, creating attractant, but do not dissolve. In colder weather, the bread ball will remain very firm on the hook

8) "Shotgun" fishing rather than "Bullet" fishing. In summer, you can be fairly sure where the fish will be in a given body of water... summer angling calls for a very targeted or "bullet" approach. In winter, there is no such certainty. Spread out your casting with multiple rods and cast to multiple locations to increase your chances.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A good winter carp home-made bait recipe. (For summer use, add 1/2 cup of anise oil)

1) 2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
2) 1/2 cup oatmeal
3) 1 cup all purpose flour
4) 1/2 cup granulated sugar
5) 4 cups water
6) 1 tsp red food coloring

*Mix potato flakes, flour, oatmeal and sugar in a large mixing bowl

*Put water into a large stock pot, heat to boil

*Stir in dry mix slowly

*Remove from heat, stirring constantly

*Add flour or water to create thick texture consistency

*add food coloring while stirring, the desired color is dark pink

*Cool mixture in bread pan or Tupperware (refrigerate)

*Cut into 1" cube chunks

*Catch a sh** ton of carp

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning to go out today, but there's too much snow... if it melts a bit by noon, I'll head out... looking forward to trying the circle hooks for the carp. ;)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know alot of guys who do that... I have never tried before... seems like a lot of extra work for a carp... then again, if it improves catch rates, might be worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I know alot of guys who do that... I have never tried before... seems like a lot of extra work for a carp... then again, if it improves catch rates, might be worth the extra effort.
Ive never used one either.. But def. on the list of things to try!
I have actually never caught a Carp while actually targetting them.. Only on accident while fishing for other species.

Carp dont get the respect that they deserve IMO.. Very smart fish.. Great fighter!

On the other hand my friend catches them quite a bit while targetting them.. he uses a circle hook with either a worm or some corn.

There are multiple great carp lake in our area... Maybe this summer we can get out and target some massive carp!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had great luck on carp in the warmer months using sweet corn and white bread balls.

Hair rig.... I mean, it is really strange to think of it working as advertised, but those limey Brits swear by it. Whatever. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts