Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't take being stuck at home waiting for warmer weather I gotta get a line wet. Since pueblo is about the only place not iced over does anyone have any advice or tips for winter fishing the area? I prefer going after warm water fish like crappie, walleye and catfish. I was thinking about targeting the Arkansas river that feeds in to pueblo reservoir but I'm not sure which side to fish. Any particular baits or spots I should try? I'm heading out tomorrow any advice would be extremely helpful, i'll let you know how i do!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I prefer going after warm water fish like crappie, walleye and catfish. I was thinking about targeting the Arkansas river that feeds in to pueblo reservoir but I'm not sure which side to fish.
The Arkansas above Pueblo is primarily trout. Below the reservoir you may find other species that are in the reservoir but this time of the year you will most likely find more trout unless you work the deeper holes and luck into an eye or bass. The reservoir itself is going to be your best bet for the species you listed; even from shore. As for baits/lures try live baits for your target species; the North Marina normally has a wide assortment of live baits and surrounding stores Walmart and even Loaf-n-jug stock worms. Lure wise try Mr. Twisters or cheap inexpensive lures unless you are familiar with the lake and like donating items to the rock and tree gods.

Spots: there are plenty areas that have shore access and many can be productive. A lake map or topo might be a good investment. Research and time on the water is key as with any lake.

Good Luck:thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the tips I really appreciate it. I'll try hitting the reservoir with worms and a few lures to see what turns up. I know the lake has allot of little nooks that hold fish, I fished it once in the summer and caught an 18 inch walleye and a few smallies but nothing crazy. I know it's going to be one of those lucky if I catch anything days but it beats staying at home watching tv! Btw do you know if brush hollow is iced over yet? I know it usually gets ice this time of year but it might be worth hitting as well. Thanks brother!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
the upper 1/2 of the lake is iced over, brush hollow should be all ice. this time of year pueblo is mostly a boat fishery, not to say you might get lucky. the river below the dam has a small section you can use bait but it is mostly flys and lures only

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I can't take being stuck at home waiting for warmer weather I gotta get a line wet. Since pueblo is about the only place not iced over does anyone have any advice or tips for winter fishing the area? I prefer going after warm water fish like crappie, walleye and catfish. I was thinking about targeting the Arkansas river that feeds in to pueblo reservoir but I'm not sure which side to fish. Any particular baits or spots I should try? I'm heading out tomorrow any advice would be extremely helpful, i'll let you know how i do!
There's a lot of other places that are open water if you know where to look.

Hint: follow that same stretch of river you're talking about east or west about 100+ miles... and don't forget to look at lakes that are canyon cut deep and subject to constant high winds...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
There's a lot of other places that are open water if you know where to look.

Hint: follow that same stretch of river you're talking about east or west about 100+ miles... and don't forget to look at lakes that are canyon cut deep and subject to constant high winds...

Man are you talking about quail?!? 😂

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty late but I did eventually make it down there a few weeks ago. Water was still to cold nothing happening on jigs/lures. I managed to catch one 18 inch trout on a slipbobber with a night crawler but that was about it.

·
P I K E
10,243 Posts
Considering this thread is almost 4 years old and none of the posters in it are here anymore it would prolly be best to start your own new thread and ask the questiobs you seek!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you manage to catch in those areas?
Specifically in that area you can find trout, I've managed to fish 14lbs trouts some months ago. Even though it was autumn, it was a while ago. I'm planning on going again in the near future, because last time I was only with my fishing rods. Now I want to try also Fly Fishing, to get the bait on the surface. I've read on thenatureinsider.com that fly-fishing is specifically for trouts, and that you are supposed to use feathers and animal furs, anything that the specific fish might be attracted to. Since the bait is almost weightless, the actual casting element in fly-fishing is the line itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts