Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Good video Dan! My local tailwater has been at 0cfs for over a month while they repair the Dam above it. Makes me sad. I guess I will be tying alot of flies this winter and fishing less.

Registered
On the tying note how small are the RS2s you like to use in winter? I am tying several on size 18 hooks, but might pick up some 20s and 22s. Trying to up my nymphing game.

Registered
Man I am getting lazy. While living in Oregon I used to fish the Deschutes and a couple of smaller rivers during the winter. It was nice having the solitude but didn't care much for the iced guides. I haven't really tried winter stream fishing here in Colorado other than ice fishing several lakes.
I have given up tying nymphs and dries for awhile and have been concentrating on feather wing streamers. I have gotten a couple of really good books recently that have me excited about branching out a bit into bucktail streamers along with the featherwings. If at all interested in heritage flies take a look at "Tying Heritage Featherwing Streamers" by Sharon E. Wright. and an older book, written in the early 60's ""Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" by Joseph D. Bates, Jr. I have another book coming for Christmas about Carrie Stevens who was a Maine fly tyer that covers a lot of her Rangely type featherwings. Now I just need to find some landlocked salmon to use the flies on.

Registered
Good video Dan! My local tailwater has been at 0cfs for over a month while they repair the Dam above it. Makes me sad. I guess I will be tying alot of flies this winter and fishing less.
You got to go fish a real river lol. Take a day off and explore the Colorado River it'll pay off and you'll have a memorable day.

Registered
You got to go fish a real river lol. Take a day off and explore the Colorado River it'll pay off and you'll have a memorable day.
Hey I will fish a bigger river any chance I get! It is just a matter of time availability. I can always wake up early and go to hit my local spots before work. Cant always take the time commitment to fish bigger water.

Registered
Nice. Appeared to be a good day all around!

Winter is by far the best time to be on the water if you like being alone and catching quality fish. When I do run into others it's like running into friend; unlike summer where we are all just another "yahoo". lol

Jet boils are a must have. Nothing better than getting a few miles away from the asphalt or dirt pack and having a shot of whiskey with a hot cup of coffee. Oh, get rid of the freeze dried coffee and go with a french press. lol
_

Some info for all the new Covid anglers:

As always, go barbless. Why handle fish when some slack will set them free? Pulling fish out of ~37 degree water into freezing air while trying to remove a hook can result in damage to eyes and gills as the water freezes. Keep them wet and use your towel to dry off your un-gloved hands. The water is warm compared to the air on most days and gloves remove the fish's protective "slime". Ever see those fish with "cotton" on them? Some is natural but much is due to poor handling; parasitic and fungal infections are a result. If you plan on releasing them, take care of them. And don't put them in the snow unless your planning on keeping them either. Catch and release concerns for winter fishing
___

Looking forward to your next post.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Appeared to be a good day all around!

Winter is by far the best time to be on the water if you like being alone and catching quality fish. When I do run into others it's like running into friend; unlike summer where we are all just another "yahoo". lol

Jet boils are a must have. Nothing better than getting a few miles away from the asphalt or dirt pack and having a shot of whiskey with a hot cup of coffee. Oh, get rid of the freeze dried coffee and go with a french press. lol
_

Some info for all the new Covid anglers:

As always, go barbless. Why handle fish when some slack will set them free? Pulling fish out of ~37 degree water into freezing air while trying to remove a hook can result in damage to eyes and gills as the water freezes. Keep them wet and use your towel to dry off your un-gloved hands. The water is warm compared to the air on most days and gloves remove the fish's protective "slime". Ever see those fish with "cotton" on them? Some is natural but much is due to poor handling; parasitic and fungal infections are a result. If you plan on releasing them, take care of them. And don't put them in the snow unless your planning on keeping them either. Catch and release concerns for winter fishing
___

Looking forward to your next post.
lol, so funny ... out of everything in the video, i've caught by far the most crap for making crappy coffee 馃ぃ gonna have to up my game if i ever feature coffee in another video!!! appreciate the comments and disclaimer about handling fish in winter time!

Registered
Another great video. I have always been a winter fly fishing fan. Although, I recently went and forgot my fleece pants. Blue jeans and breathable waders in 38 degree water make for some short wades!! I didn't recognized the river, but it looked very productive. thanks again.

Registered
Dan, do you mind if I ask which river you were on? That river looks like it had quite a bit of water, and every stream I fish has flows below 100. Just wondering.

Registered
Sweeeet! Keep the location to PMs....and you must have at least 25 posts for a reply. Lol

Edit: Make that 100 posts! Lol

Registered
lol, so funny ... out of everything in the video, i've caught by far the most crap for making crappy coffee 馃ぃ gonna have to up my game if i ever feature coffee in another video!!! appreciate the comments and disclaimer about handling fish in winter time!
I once drank that stuff too. Freeze dried coffee. Yeah. I've been there. Then one day I realized just how good a cup of GOOD coffee really is way back, far from the jungle. With smaller and smaller boilers it's the dang French press consumes the space. So worth it. Try it. Bet you money you throw the freeze dried stuff in the trash and become a snob like me. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts