Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions, techniques, ideas or anything else on how to winterize your boat for winter? I have a mercruser in/out board that I need to winterize and don't really want to take it to a shop and get raked over the coals.

Thanks for any help that you may provide.

John

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
in/outs are a little tougher, you gotta make sure any water left in the engine block aint gona freeze! there are a few ways to go about this. 1 replace the water with some sort of anti freeze, if you can get a tub or container that your lower unit will fitt into then you can put anit freeze in there and run the engine but it takes a lot of antifreeze, if you have the "ears" that you put over the water inlet and hook up a hose to flush it then first flush it with water then determine the capacity of the cooling system (might be in a manual or cal manufature/dealer) then rig up a bucket/container full of coolant gravity feed it to the hose/ears and run the engine till the coolant runs out the exaust and you use up all of the coolant i would use the RV/Motorhome winterizing coolant you can get at walmart for a few $ per gallon it will be pink and is non toxic, you could probly use regular automotive antifreeze but it is toxic and make sure you get some that is compatible with the metals in your unit

2 drain ALL water from the engine and lower unit and blow out good with air. there should be several small plugs in the engine/lower unit that you can remove and let it drain but make shure you find them ALL and get ALL the water out

before draining/anti freezing it you should add some fuel staybilizer to the tank and run it so the staybilized fuel works its way thru the system that way the fuel wont go bad and cause hard starting in the spring.

if you dont fully understand how to do this it might be better pay the bucks, as a cracked block from freezing water is way more expensive

O yea i for got method 3&4 park you boat in a heated garage for the winter and just do the fuel staybalizer

but the best way is # 4 take the boat and go fish mexico for the winter!

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have an in/out on our Invader, and, because of what needs to be done, we took it to Aurora Marine (we bought the boat there) and they did it all for us. Cost, about $270, but we know the winterization is done right. We had everything done to it that was recommended, included the oil changed.
Certain maintenance type things I will do to our vehicles and the boat, but there are other things that I will leave up to a qualified mechanic to do. Yes, it will cost me, but that's life.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yea sometimes you gotta knuckle under. a mistake here could really cost you, blocks arnt cheep

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Do you have the owners manual? It is really pretty straight forward. Put stablil in the gas for your last trip. Fogging the engine is good before you take it out of the water, right after that an oi/filter change (get the oil change pump that fits on the dip stick). Then pull the engine drain plugs and hoses (5-7 plugs/hoses) leave them loose or off for the winter. It used to take "me" about 2 1/2 hours, In my opinion it was good investment of my time.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
lotta good info and refs here you just have to decide if your up to it

good luck

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
Mine's just an outboard,but I use STABIL in the tank for the fuel.I dont really winterize it ,cause I just got back from Granby and I'll prolly take it to 11-mile in oct. then I'll use it in Chatfield in november,Then Chatfield again in feb.So it only sits for 2 months in winter.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
outboards arent has critical since if you lower the unit it will self drain the I/O will hold water in the block and if it freezes it can cause some nasty damage. and that can be a prob even if you use it thru the winter

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
good luck and let us know how you did

and remember it wasnt just us guys that had good info

·
Registered
280 Posts
I add a fuel stabilizer, drain the lower unit, add new oil and flog the motor to make sure there isn't a lot of water in it and also do a once over on the engine. Be surprised at how many bolts can come loose during a season of fishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts