Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones thoughts on eating wiper? Are they good, I mean good like good, not like largemouth good. How does everyone cook them/clean? Fillet?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
They're good. IMO they're much better than largemouth and smallmouth. In fact, I don't even eat smallmouth or largemouth anymore because those taste terrible. As for wiper, not too many bones. Decent flavor in the meat, kinda like crappie and white bass if you ask me. You can grill it with whatever seasonings you like or fillet em and do up a batter. It's your pick. My personal favorite on wiper is steamed with many herbs and seasonings and tomatoes and then eat with rice. I'll eat one to myself when I'm in the mood. That's quite a meal, but it's fulfilling and I believe it promises more catches when you eat what you catch.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
1eyeReD said:
My personal favorite on wiper is steamed with many herbs and seasonings and tomatoes and then eat with rice.
You can do that grilled too. You will want to wrap it in foil if grilled. Basically like steaming, but the outside such as the skin of the fish will be a little blackened for a crispy outside, while the inside flesh just comes right off the bones with ease.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I prefer wipers over smallies and largemouths anyday...you should try the method 1eye was talkin about( grillin it with the foil) great flavor!!....just had some like that today.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found that wipers are excellent if you fillet them, remove the blood line on the fillets, then dip them in a beer batter (recipe on request) and then deep fry them. Being a HickSpanic (that is a Mountain-Spanic to those that don't know) I add a generous amount of Caynenne pepper to the beer batter. A plate full of these and a cold brewski... Now you're talking!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I like WHite bass also!

It actually kind of pisses me off when people kill smallmouths and largemouths. I am not a catch and release zealot but why kill a fish that isn't stocked and tastes bad?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never eaten smallmouth or large mouth but was told it tastes like weeds, or vegitation.

D

·
0 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I like WHite bass also!

It actually kind of pisses me off when people kill smallmouths and largemouths. ... why kill a fish that isn't stocked and tastes bad?
Hey Neal-

I actually like eating smallmouth from good clear water. I'll keep them at Flaming Gorge and Lake Powell. They actually encourage you to harvest some of the smaller ones in those 2 lakes.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I know what you mean Don! I was talking about here in Colorado. You could catch 100 a day at the Gorge and not even dent the population.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Fillet 'em up and bread and fry-umum good.I have eaten many a smallmouth sanny from cheesman(reservoir that is)! They taste great!I dont know what you mean about bad tasting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found that wipers are excellent if you fillet them, remove the blood line on the fillets, then dip them in a beer batter (recipe on request) and then deep fry them. Being a HickSpanic (that is a Mountain-Spanic to those that don't know) I add a generous amount of Caynenne pepper to the beer batter. A plate full of these and a cold brewski... Now you're talking!
IMG_20200506_012714673.jpg
need recipe

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
This is an oooold thread man, don't know if you are going to find T-fin around anymore! It's a great eating white-meat fish so you can cook it up anyway you want, but yes do trim away the bloodline and dark meat for best results. If you are new to cooking fish, maybe start with a box of "Shore lunch" mix from Sportsmans warehouse, or Cabelas.
Congrats on the nice fish!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
This is an old thread... Wipers ain't bad. But I think smallmouths taste better. :devilish: Removing the blood line does help with taste.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wipeys taste like crap. Bottom line.
Agreed. Plus I don't want to sound like one of those trout lovers that believes in catch and release. But they don't re-produce like other species and people should try their best to release them because they are much funner to catch as a sport fish at 20 plus inches.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Agreed. Plus I don't want to sound like one of those trout lovers that believes in catch and release. But they don't re-produce like other species and people should try their best to release them because they are much funner to catch as a sport fish at 20 plus inches.
My sentiments exactly. Why keep sterile hybrid fish anyway? Same reason I won't keep Tiger Trout or Splake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts