Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
IMO, sterile fish shouldn’t have taxpayer funded money spent on them.

As for wipers, not sure if they taste good or not. But the small/medium sized stripers are pretty good
Interesting view point. I think it depends on the purpose of the Sterile Hybrid. Tiger trout for example are often used as a tool to have a manageable population of predators to thin out overpopulated fish species. This has worked very well for the health of Brook trout in some lakes where Tigers are also stocked. Another place it has worked is at Joe Wright reservoir. I have been fishing that lake for 18 years. Since they started stocking sterile teeth in the lake (Tiger Muskie, and Tiger Trout), the quality and size of the Grayling I catch has been much improved over the past several years.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Interesting view point. I think it depends on the purpose of the Sterile Hybrid. Tiger trout for example are often used as a tool to have a manageable population of predators to thin out overpopulated fish species. This has worked very well for the health of Brook trout in some lakes where Tigers are also stocked. Another place it has worked is at Joe Wright reservoir. I have been fishing that lake for 18 years. Since they started stocking sterile teeth in the lake (Tiger Muskie, and Tiger Trout), the quality and size of the Grayling I catch has been much improved over the past several years.
Let the post lay because I didn’t want to come across any more of a jerk than I already do at times. I have no issues with people targeting the species that are present and legal

But a fresh example has arose here in my current state, and I’m just not excited about the use of my money to fund an introduction of a sterile specifies. Frankly it upsets me.

Spend the money to make the sport more accessible to the less fortunate, not to install, operate and maintain significant infrastructure to grow and then release fish that will be specially targeted by select sportsmen.

This isn’t biology, this is politics. It makes me sick.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Let the post lay because I didn’t want to come across any more of a jerk than I already do at times.
I don't see how caring about how your tax dollars/license fees/parks fees etc. are spent makes you come across as a jerk. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I often wonder why the CPW spends so much investment on stocking Rainbows in my state where they have no chance of long term survival (a lot of Bass ponds). Then I go to those places and see familys with their kids having a good time pulling out slimers, and I feel slightly better about it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
in my opinion where co screwed up with the wiper stocking program is a 20 fish limit on a sterile fish. not untill recently has is changed to 5 with only 1 over 21 and that is in pueblo res. hopefully ark puts a lesser restriction on the tiger trout

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
How to enjoy wipers:
1. Get some reel screaming action:
060420_4.jpg

060420_5.jpg

2. Butcher a double digit class wiper and get maybe 3 lbs of meat:
060420_1.jpg

060420_2.jpg

3. Enjoy ceviche with an Asian twist:
060420_3.jpg

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
You make that look like a good meal. :D
Not just "look," but "was" and "is" good with proper preparation. It was a good meal, enjoyed by family members. Bleed the fish, cut out the bad parts (dark meat) and you'll end up with good, white meat. Location matters too. I don't like the taste of Colorado wipers. Nebraska and Kansas wipers taste much better. At this particular lake, most of the wipers you'll catch are double digit fish. The forage base make these fish really fat. The fat content made it feel like filleting a salmon...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not just "look," but "was" and "is" good with proper preparation. It was a good meal, enjoyed by family members. Bleed the fish, cut out the bad parts (dark meat) and you'll end up with good, white meat. Location matters too. I don't like the taste of Colorado wipers. Nebraska and Kansas wipers taste much better. At this particular lake, most of the wipers you'll catch are double digit fish. The forage base make these fish really fat. The fat content made it feel like filleting a salmon...
I've been trying to do a catch and cook video on this. Thanks for the tutorial.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts