Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposing a wiper fly contest next year for the chasers of wipers with fly rods. Shore only so every person has the same chance, roughly mid April 2007, Bragging rights only prizes, C&R to preserve the fishery, Union Res.
Who likes the Idea?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Bring it....I've been perfecting my hybrid fishing every morning in Tennessee! It's amazing the sheer number of giant hybrid and stripers that occupie the lakes out here. While at percy priest Res. in nashville this morning, a 6 inch hump of water came croosing by me and in the clear water I could see hundreds of 8-20 pound hybrids and stripers scattering a school of baitfish. It really was a magical morning; pressure was under 30 and falling, wind, clouds, light rain....all the ingredients for a 10 fish striper morning on the fly rod. Topwater, streamers you name it...they would hit it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
Bring it....I've been perfecting my hybrid fishing every morning in Tennessee!
  I love it...This should be fun.... I love a little friendly competition... I wish we had stripers here... If its possible to love a fish stripers would defiantly be my lady Guinevere.  There is nothing that compares to hooking into a monster rockfish.... When they stop your hand in mid strip.... arrhhhh it's awesome... I’ll be  down to Lake Texoma in  4 weeks I can’t wait to get another one on the line… … 

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would be up for it this year if someone would give me a few pointers. Never have gone after anything bigger than trout on a fly. I think it would be a blast to land something that big on the fly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If some one know a good time in the fall to chase wipers on the fly from shore, speak up. Remember trying to keep it on a far level with everone fishing from shore and waders. Not boats, float tubes, or kick boats.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The last two weeks of May were great for me last year.... Caught a bunch around the flats... Never got into any monsters biggest probably 10-12 lbs... The first couple weeks of May might be the ticket with the warmer weather we have been having... Any idea's?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was just amazed to see that the new state record whiper came out of my neiborhood lake--Bingham Reservoir! WTF--that was supposed to my fish lol. Anyway, that would be one place that in about 3 weeks we will all catch a hell of a lot of fish from.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The actual state record by weight was caught at pueblo Res.. It weighted 26lbs 15 oz.... and was 37.50 inches long.... The record catch a release fish was caught at Bingham Lake measuring 34" 1/2 inches... PD4 do you know if they weighted it before it was released?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This sounds like fun, you guys that have had some experience with this here in CO, speak up and give us rookies to stripper fishing a couple ideas. What lakes, what to look for, flats, points, weed beds?? How about flies, and equipment, for chasing them from shore? I’m in, just give me enough of a hint as to how and where, to make me at least feel like I might catch one or two.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Flies... 1/0 to 4/0 hooks 4-12 inch flies... Mostly shad patterns.. I usally throw a clouser imitation so I don't get hung up on the bottom.... Early mornings and late evening seem to be the most productive... I say we give it 2-4 weeks before they start going insane in the shallower water... Sand flats work good, rocky points with deep water access... all good areas... I always watch for birds working the water and look for bait fish... Pueblo is a good place but fishes better from a boat... Bingham Lake can be great, Cherry Creek has some big ones.. But has tons of shad that can make the fish hard to pin point.. I use a 7wt rod... just to have some fun fights when hooked up.. I would try by the island at pueblo or the flats near the dam in a couple of weeks... Action should be hot.. I always tie my flies thin... I feel it makes them look more realistic to real baitfish.... Even if we don't get the tournament going this year we should all meet up and pound them!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, I have an 8wt I bought when I was in Maryland with the thought of chasing the shade runs, went once but never hooked up with any shade. I might just have to break it out and give the wipers a try.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let me know if you want to get out there sometime... I am always looking for someone to split gas prices with... I have all the flies you will need..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't know if they did. I tell you what though man, every now and then when the water clears up and I can see the skools of wiper cruising...I'm blown away to see the size of some of the fish in only a 28 acre lake with a max depth of 26 feet. There are several fish that are 20 pounds no doubt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts