Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
On the bottom...on the top..never a jumper for me. Their fight kinda reminds me of the original Tremors movie ...after they toss the dynamite..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have only caught about a dozen wipers ranging from 10 inches to 10 lbs but cant say any of them jumped out of the water. However had a bunch jump off my hook.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I've just recently experienced that, Z, with a fish that was just over 10 pounds. I landed it, but at first I thought I had on a huge bass. (it was at night, at an undisclosed lake ;) )

I was VERY surprised when I realized it was a wiper.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
This is a great thread... since the question was posed, I have asked around and there are few folks who have seen or actually had a wiper jump that I know... All of em seem to say it's right after they get hit, and none claim it's like a bass jump or trout jump where they are coming completely out of the water (I don't think)...

Anyhow, for years I have said the only thing that could make a wiper better is if they went airborne and it seems it's rare but possible. I am well into triple digits on wipers caught, and haven't had one jump, but I have seen a few hit topwater and make an eruption that is nothing short of mind blowing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Shenanigans!!!!

:D. Seriously. Donald hooked a wiper on a point at Aurora early one morning on a jerk bait that sailed completely out of the water right in front of us. We thought it was a huge trout at first! No ****- I've caught a lot of wipers over the years and this is the only time I've ever seen one jump.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
:D. Seriously. Donald hooked a wiper on a point at Aurora early one morning on a jerk bait that sailed completely out of the water right in front of us. We thought it was a huge trout at first! No ****- I've caught a lot of wipers over the years and this is the only time I've ever seen one jump.
I'm callin' bullshit, Hes......

Everyone knows Donald doesn't fish... :D

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
They were "deep sea fishing"...at least that was the code words my mother used...bwahahahahahahahaha...

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for all the replies and I even got a text from the worlds foremost wiper topwater expert who asked not to be named or quoted...take these 15 commandments...oops tish <breakage>...10 errr 10 commandments...thanks Big Man of BigManville!...the perch didnt bite on the 11th...zman's cove is fished out...time for someone to find gainful employment...I put the camera down...barren fishless wasteland!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yep, that did happen. I also had one hit a lipless crank at boatside many years ago fishing Creek with Gene, that one damn near landed in the boat it jumped so far out of the water. No BS.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts