Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant find it anywhere in the reg book. was fishing boyd today, and i was pulling in wipers left and right.. couldnt find limits anywhere though.. anybody know what it is??

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
I am not sure Boyd has wipers...they may have been white bass there is a lot of simularities...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im almost positive it wasnt white bass.. looked way more like a striper or a wiper. are the size limits the same as small mouth bass when they are not listed?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was catching them from shore. They were hitting it left and right! I wasnt even trying to catch them, i was going for trout. There were also the most carp ive EVER seen in one spot. they were schooling up, 100's of them.. it was insane! when i would throw my lure through them, they would go NUTS..

I was using a small panther martin w/ a gold blade. has a yellow body w/ red dots. also had a short brown rooster tail & red yarn sticking out the bottom of the rooster tail. You cant miss them, you can see them hitting the surface, i would cast out, and they would take it...

I also caught another large fish. it looked like a bluegill body, w/ a wiper mouth, but it had a really pretty design of black dots on its body & tail fin, ive never seen one that looked like that.. if only i had my camera!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
There are no wiper size limits in Boyd, and yes it's mixed with whites also. Almost every lake in Colorado that has them two species (white bass/wiper) does not reqiure a size limit. Probably all of them. If there is a size slot it will be posted gaurantee. Check out this link to tell a difference between the two. I've been chasing these guys for a long time now and some times I can't tell with out looking at the tounge.

www.kdwp.state.ks.us/content/download/7064/34350/file

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
They changed the wiper limit in the new regulations instead of being included with bass and a limit of 20 they are now by themselves with white bass and you can only keep 10. Also alot of lakes (not Boyd) have a 15 inch minumum, but most lakes have these posted if they have a min.

·
Registered
988 Posts
ePiC said:
They changed the wiper limit in the new regulations instead of being included with bass and a limit of 20 they are now by themselves with white bass and you can only keep 10.  Also alot of lakes (not Boyd) have a 15 inch  minumum, but most lakes have these posted if they have a min.
Has'nt it been that way for a while now?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i went back today, and i only caught 1. HUGE differfence from yesterday. I looked at its tounge, but i couldnt tell at all.. perhaps they are white bass, they all seemed to be about the same size ~11" none were very big, so the 3lb max seems pretty likely... it kinda looked like it had 2 tooth patches, but i could be wrong, i could hardly tell...

·
Registered
279 Posts
If I remember right you can tell the differenec between the wiper and white by the top lateral line, the one slosest to the spine. If it runs continously from the head to the tail without interruption it is a wiper. If it is broken anywhere it is a white bass.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
me and my brother went to boyd today and i caught alot of crappie perch bluegill and smallmouth and largemouth bass i couldnt find any white bass i;m not sure where u caught urs there pumping alot of water in both inlets and that horseshoe lake is the lowest i;ve ever seen it i hope all those fish dont die in there i could see carp on top of the water eveywhere its pretty shallow i caught all my fish by marina channel and heron place by boatdock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts