Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was wondering this same thing the other day.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
They've got to-no natural reproduction. Pueblo gets the most. ;D

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kirbydog said:
They've got to-no natural reproduction.
Thats why I was asking. People keep them and if the DOW stops stocking them than we're SOL. I still havnt got one over a few lbs.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CO. FishingMan said:
That would be horrible if they stopped stocking Wipers. Those are one of the best fish that will give you a fight in in colorado.

I guess thats my point.

:)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Late last summer I met a hatchery truck out at Lonetree Res. putting in some little catfish, and I asked the guy if they were stocking any wipers, and he replied yes but we stock the wipers in the spring. So it sounded to me from the way he said it like they expect to keep on doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
The park ranger people at Union told me they stock that lake about every year w/thousands in the 5 to 6 digit amounts.

Spoke to a State Park guy out at Bonny and he said the same thing about that lake too. Can anyone confirm this is true?

1eyeReD

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are we to assume that when the DOW posts their stocking reports there just talking about trout?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Are we to assume that when the DOW posts their stocking reports there just talking about trout?

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]
I would assume so, cuz if I remember correctly.. They call it the weekly catchable trout stocking report. Now wouldn't it be cool to know what warmwater species are stocked, when and where? However, that'll have too many fishermen (including myself) making future plans  :p

"They'll hit the 18 inch mark by 2010, yippe!!"
I'm sure there are still a number of fishermen out there who'd like to unravel the mystery themselves. However, if you'd like the details on a certain lake, I'd recommend calling around and try to speak with a knowledgeable park ranger in charge of that particular body of water. That's how I learned about Union's wiper stocking. I basically called everyday and harassed the wrong person for info until they put the right person on the phone.

1eyeReD

M

·
0 Posts
From the DOW site in the "Hot Spots" section....

"The Division of Wildlife stocks 3.3 million 10-inch fish every year. An additional 58 million warm-water species and 13 million subcatchable cold-water species are stocked"

L

·
0 Posts
Call the DOW and find who is the fishery biologist for the lake your interested in. Call and talk to them. Some park rangers don't know squat. I said some, not all. But I've never met a biologist who doesn't want to share his knowledge of a certain fishery. I regularly talk with the biologists up at Granby and Blue Mesa both.

·
Registered
636 Posts
They still stock wiper. Check out the article from the RMN a few weeks back about the Eastern Reservoirs. I'm too lazy to find it and put up a link sorry. Last year the ranger at Barr told me they stocked it with thousands of wiper and catfish fingerlings so in about five years they will be good sized. Also, the DOW stocking report only refers to stocker trout.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts