Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious which one you guys think fights the hardest. Now that I have caught both it is still a tough call?

That first 20 seconds a striper takes the bait and runs is unreal!! The three I lost dove into flooded timber and snapped 20 lb test! It seemed like once I got their head pointed in my direction I could handle them. Of course the biggest was only 12 lbs! I can't even imagine what a 30 lber must be like?

Wipers earn the "stripes" once they start using that wide body and turning sideways! It is like reeling in a trash can lid! Their strike is awesome also, but the pure breads have more speed, in my opinion.

I was surprised there was as much difference as there was in the two? What do you guys think?

F

·
0 Posts
that means I have to make a trip to catch a striper . Ive only caught a few wipers but to me it was like a largemouth on steroids . Cant wait to find something that fights even harder

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I cant really say cause i have only caught one stripper. 30lb out of mcconaughy in 2000. Man that dude took a whole bunch of line off the spool. I will never forget that early morning with my pops and his friend. As for wipers, man i have never caught one over 10lb but pound for pound those things are ruthless. Man a 2-3 lb wiper will pull your pole in the lake. When i go to texas or oklahoma and catch a ton of strippers ill know the answer.

D

·
0 Posts
If the fish are equal size, my nod goes to the wiper. But they're both great game fish!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Like alot of genetic crosses, the wiper pound for pound is superior to the stripped bass (its father or mother, depending on the actual cross). I have caught them both up to mid teens in lbs. and wipers come out on top-not by alot but they do IMHO put up a more sustained fight. Ed

·
Banned
487 Posts
Ive caught four pound wiper and they fight very well, but never have landed a big wiper. However for their size, I just caught my first stripers this weekend from 4 to 8 pounds. And I must say the striper puts them to shame. They fight like Channel Cats on steroids.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've yet to catch a STRIPER, but I heard that they don't fight as hard....I think it depends on certain fish. For example, I go to a lake, say.......Bonny, those wipers fight hard as hell, and then I go to Lonetree, man, those wipers have very little fighting power, although on some occasions, you'll get a pretty decent one that will put up a good fight. One of these days though, one of these days!
Where is a good place for STRIPERS anyway?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've caught them both and have asked myself the same question on more than one occassion; I'd call it a draw if you match them pound for pound and inch for inch.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the Wiper has more stamina and is use's that wide body well. But I think sheer power and speed of the stripers on that first run is awesome!!! i could deffinately get hooked on Striper fishing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts