Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Greg and i were putting together the 2016 Wiper Summit we learned that the DOW had stocked 1.6 million fry total in Pueblo the past three years, (2014,2015 and 2016). Even at the 1% survival rate to adulthood which is considered the norm? That would be 16,000 wipers.

This year from May to yesterday I have fished Pueblo 62 times. During those days I have landed only seven wipers. Two were only four inches long and I attribute them to the 2016 stocking. Five were 10 inches long and I attribute them to the 2015 stocking. Then Wednesday I was practicing for yesterdays CWA tournament at PLO and I caught a 16 inch 2.5 lb wiper on a crankbait. It made me wonder if it was an over acheiver from 2015 or my first clue that the 2014 class actually survived? Well I think that question was answered yesterday!!!!!

Fishing at the CWA tourney was the worst ever! 23 teams out of 28 blanked. In fact only six keepers were weighed in yesterday:eek: The shad hatch is so huge right now it is impossible to get any kind of pattern going for good fish? I caught 20 eye's yesterday and not one would stretch 18", LOL. But at weigh in I started hear stories of huge numbers of 15 inch wipers caught:thumb: I would guess at least 100 between Friday and Saturday. One team caught 30 yesterday alone. The west end of lake is just full of them all of a sudden? I may of been the only person smiling yesterday at the closing awards for the CWA8)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That's good news Neal. Maybe in a few more years.....Hopefully we will get smarter on the bag and slot limit before then:pray:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good news Neal. Maybe in a few more years.....Hopefully we will get smarter on the bag and slot limit before then:pray:
We need almost no wipers being creeled there and we both know that will never happen!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With all due respect... especially if folks put them on blast on the internet!
Trying to get across the point how few are being stocked and that we have a chance to rebuild it? Maybe if people understand that they will let them go to some extent?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Trying to get across the point how few are being stocked and that we have a chance to rebuild it? Maybe if people understand that they will let them go to some extent?
Understood... but we both know there are enough unethical people just looking for a full freezer. Pointing them to a specific area on any lake equals an unnecessary temptation. JMHO

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the info Neal and trying to get the idea of selective harvest out there. It's important to think about if we want good hunting/fishing around here.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Neal, I think this would be good BLOG material. I have read and seen your videos and think you could make a difference. Never caught a wiper myself but hear they are a kick in the pants to fight...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I normally fish for White perch here in Pa for the freezer . I keep a few eyes and in the fall and few wipers .

Our problem is so much bait . People think we dont have a lot of eyes but studies show we have a lot of them in the lake I fish.

Somebody put some shad and the lake is flooded with shad and white perch. That makes it harder to catch them both. Although the study shows we have plenty eyes in the lakes.

Our issue is too much bait IMO . I keep luckily 10 walleye and less then that wipers.

In the fall you see schools of shad at the surface that looks to be thousands in a school and they are all over the lake .White perch we have schools 40 yds long in the fall . Our lake like a pond compared to Pueblo.

The problem we have is when people catch crappie that are 4 inches and the meat eaters keep everything they catch .

·
Registered
20 Posts
A whiper is when somebody doesnt spell wiper correct . Its a hybrid striped bass . between a striped bass and a white bass . They grow fast and eat up the shad . the real stripers grow slower and get huge .

In Pa we use them for shad control. They dont get as big as pure stripers . They hit like a mac truck.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
A whiper is when somebody doesnt spell wiper correct . Its a hybrid striped bass . between a striped bass and a white bass . They grow fast and eat up the shad . the real stripers grow slower and get huge .

In Pa we use them for shad control. They dont get as big as pure stripers . They hit like a mac truck.
Good answer! At least you have a sense of humor. :thumb: We swill watch your career with great interest, young Jedi. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
20 Posts
One has to take if one wants to give it back in life . Nobody is perfect even though I am darn close LOL. Oh and I swill be watching you too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts